T-Shirt Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used Rapid Seps Color Separation Suite? RapidSeps | Simulated Process Color Separation Software

If so, what was the outcome of the final product? Was it as accurate as what you see on your monitor? The website shows a before and after separation on a monitor but doesn't have any actual pictures of a real printed garment color separated with Rapid Seps.

What do you guys and gals think of this software?:)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I gave the demo a try. The resulting separation was very good. I examined all the channels and I'm sure it would produce a great print. In fact this was the best initial result I've gotten so far with anything I've tried. Meaning, the amount of adjustment needed would have been almost nothing. It generated more screens than I would have wanted or what I would have done manually but the result was great. If you have some skill you could easily combine a color like purple into red/blue and get rid of the purple. The sample images were extremely colorful and it reproduced them incredibly well.

However, there was a problem with the software. It kept corrupting my Photoshop preference file over and over. When it did that, it resulted in channels that had almost no content. But the developer was immediately accessible and went back and forth with me via email. I didn't solve it but I feel confident that the problem would be solved. It was late in the day and I had to leave. I will try it again today on a different machine, different OS, version of Photoshop. I'll report back to this space with whatever happens. But if the software issue is solved then this will definitely be the closest I've ever come to a one click solution for sim process.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I gave it another try on a different machine. The first machine yesterday was Windows 7, 32bit running Photoshop CS6 32bit. Today, I'm using a Windows 8.1 machine with Photoshop CS6, 64bit. The result was the same unfortunately. It produced a set of channels that were pretty much empty. I didn't bother throwing out the preferences again. I did that several times yesterday so I know what to expect.

Another issue I had was that I chose to install in a location other than the C drive. I had a suspicion that it might be a problem with this software but since it allowed me to do it, and I never install apps on my C Drive because of it's limited space, I went ahead and did it. I ran the routine and the first problem that happened was an error message that said, "java code missing". I immediately thought about where I installed it. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled on the C drive. This time it ran properly, but got the "corrupted" result. Hopefully they can solve these software problems. Right now it feels a little "unprofessional" though when working properly yields the best results I've gotten thus far from plugins.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Last update. The problem is solved. This plugin is producing excellent results in record time, and now working fine. The amount of tweaking is will be quite minimal or possibly zero on some files. Good plugin and good customer support. Even on a Saturday.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Yeah the results are surprisingly good. Once you've used enough of these plugins you come to expect to get a result then begin tweaking. This plugin is producing a great result on the first pass with a whole range of images I tested. And the amount of tweaking seems to be very minimal. I would generally not want to print the turquoise or purple screen unless there was a whole lot of that color in the art. The price is also very good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I tried it. Its pretty much an amateur attempt at doing a sep program. The sim seps are basically adjusted cmyk channels converted to spot channels. Plus the trial is, well, not quite put together well. Just a sloppy crippled set of actions. As I said, an amateur at work trying to put together something. Not ready for prime time.

Best sep proggys in order:

#1 Ultraseps (best bang for buck, works well, does everything, very well thought out)

#2 Separation Studio (limited features but the sim process is good on most jobs, not all)

#3 T-Seps (generates chunky channels here and there but serviceable)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I tried it. Its pretty much an amateur attempt at doing a sep program. The sim seps are basically adjusted cmyk channels converted to spot channels. Plus the trial is, well, not quite put together well. Just a sloppy crippled set of actions. As I said, an amateur at work trying to put together something. Not ready for prime time.

Best sep proggys in order:

#1 Ultraseps (best bang for buck, works well, does everything, very well thought out)

#2 Separation Studio (limited features but the sim process is good on most jobs, not all)

#3 T-Seps (generates chunky channels here and there but serviceable)
Cannot thank you enough for this post nothing like an honest, educated experienced break down. While some wanna be Pro peeps want to think they know what they are talking about. Educated experience shines the true light.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The problem with every one of these products is that the user is expecting a one click solution and none of them are. Maybe that can be called false advertising but if the user can accept this fact then he can set about understanding what is needed to make the initial seps of any of these products work. The worst products for me are simply the ones that take the entire process out of a raster environment and shoves it into something like CorelDraw. It produces a result like anything else that has to be edited, but a vector program is OBVIOUSLY not the best environment for editing raster files. So you now have an ultra slow environment for manipulating seps. For a newbie it's likely better than nothing. Of course. But a set of actions in Photoshop will rin in a few seconds and yield a set of seps. You will have to modify them and Photoshop has an over abundance of tools to do it. That's why people have used Photoshop to do this for decades. Call them all crazy. lol If you have some personal skill and experience with what you're looking at, you'll make quick work of editing the initial seps then press print. The problem happens when you are hoping for the initial separations to be perfect. That would be nice but so far it's not happening with anybody's product. I was working with a newbie. He asked me if I was using the product that runs in CorelDraw. I said no. He asked why. I said because I don't need to. After a couple of weeks he had started using Separation Studio. 6 in one hand, half dozen in another. The concern for us is speed. His problem is that he doesn't really kniw Photoshop and hates Adobe like some other people. That seems to be the biggest reason to torture yourself with a slow process.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Lets have some fun Pro... I mean you are a Pro Separator correct? Let sep off.. MMA style you know down and dirty.

You get PS the whole cloud what ever you want. I use the CorelDRAW graphics suite only.

Round 1

Simple enough? I mean surely a Pro Separator can beat an Advanced Idiot in manual separations with PhotoShop. Especially if the Advanced Idiot uses CorelDRAW.

We put it all in video no voice over required just record your seps and send the seps for printing. I will pay for the printing.

Lets have some fun Pro.. ;)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
AA, What will you prove?
According to your posts DRAW is slow and just a vector application. But when you truly understand color and color separation DRAW a supposed vector application is actually also a very powerful separation application also. Not PhotoPaint, DRAW. In fact it offers a few key benefits that are rather amazing. You just have to know where they are and how to use them.

Since you believe that PS is so powerful, which I would not disagree with that. And that DRAW is just a vector application I believe a side by side manual separation work flow demonstration of the two could put an end to the debate.

At the end of the day all separations in computers are mathematics, it is digital color after all. The program, tools and techniques you use with digital color will determine how fast and how accurately you can separate an image. Approaching separations correctly will result in the best work flow and the best printing results.

I think a Pro Separator in PS compared to guy like me with just DRAW. Could clearly demonstrate which one of us really understands the workings of these things.

I think we should look at from a stand point of work flow, speed and separation accuracy. No doubt both applications can do it question is, how fast?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
According to your posts DRAW is slow and just a vector application.
Show where I said, "Draw is just a vector application". LOL You make your own statement, claim that I opposed it, then set up a contest to prove it. I have to think, that this is what a real con artist is like.

Here's the truth of what I said. A vector application is not the ideal environment for raster art. Full Stop.

And only an even greater fool would fantasize that any vector program is going to handle a raster file better than the greatest raster editor ever created...while ignoring decades of supporting history and printed products. But, you go right ahead there, AA. That's definitely not deterring you. Not that you don't know better, but business is business right.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Show where I said, "Draw is just a vector application". LOL You make your own statement, claim that I opposed it, then set up a contest to prove it. I have to think, that this is what a real con artist is like.

Here's the truth of what I said. A vector application is not the ideal environment for raster art. Full Stop.

And only an even greater fool would fantasize that any vector program is going to handle a raster file better than the greatest raster editor ever created...while ignoring decades of supporting history and printed products. But, you go right ahead there, AA. That's definitely not deterring you. Not that you don't know better, but business is business right.
I think you fail to understand that CorelDRAW is just as much a raster environment as it is a vector environment. The Effects and Bitmap menu selection clearly show that. Further it actually has more blending modes and raster bitmap effects than PS does. I also think you lack a deep understanding of color separations. Yes PS does things that DRAW does not and yes DRAW does things that PS does not do. Finally it has the all mighty Simulated Color Management Off setting which is the game changer where seps are concerned. Yes you can work around that in PS but why bother? But we both have the opportunities to prove our points here candidly with video. That ends the debate ;)

Also that image is definitely a separation curve ball on some levels. How you separate it will give me allot of understanding relating to your level of skill in separation and translating that to a print.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.