T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.rabidteddies.com

Ok people, I'm ready. Rip me a new one but be gentle, maybe blow in my ear a little bit. I'm a complete newb to CSS and Photoshop and running a site on the internet and marketing and I just went live last week with an e-commerce site created entirely in CSS that sells my graphic designs (currently Rabid Teddies) on a whole line of women's clothing. Wow it just hit me typing it like that...

Seriously, if anyone could check the site out, give it a couple minutes, feel the flow, be the site... and tell me what you like or hate. You can call me stupid, it won't hurt my feelings since I'm still learning. It builds character anyway.

The site is always a work in progress of course but one thing I want to note is that I'm still adding Featured Items to each item category page and working on cutting down the FAQ. I'm going to move the dynamic links for the product specs to the actual item pages somehow.

Anyway, any response would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

·
2,957 Posts
First off, I like the whole feel and vibe of the site. I could see myself having a pleasant shopping experience on the site. The color scheme and layout work well. But, I think there are definitely some issues that need addressing.

One of the first things I noticed was the “menu” on the left side. I think you should make the arrows active links to more info. I don’t know what you could do with the “So what do I do?”, but the “About Us” should definitely be a link, not just the “click here” at the end.

Also, I think your “Rabid Teddies” logo at the top of the page should link back to the home page when you go to other pages.

Another thing that kind of annoyed me was when I went to click on a pic of a particular shirt; I was expecting to see that same pic, only larger. Most of the time that didn’t happen. Sometimes there was a pic of a different color shirt altogether. I wanted to see that pic larger, not a pic of a different color shirt and someone in a different pose.

I do like the option of picking which of the Rabid designs goes on the shirt that I would like. That is very nice. Another thing that is missing, though, is your method of printing. I’m guessing since you are customizing to order, that your are heat pressing them. Is this so? I think it would be a good idea to put on the FAQ the method of printing.

Overall, I think you are on the right track.;) Like you said, it is a work in progress.

Much success to you!:D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Comin'OutSwingin said:
First off, I like the whole feel and vibe of the site. I could see myself having a pleasant shopping experience on the site. The color scheme and layout work well.

Thank you.

Comin'OutSwingin said:
But, I think there are definitely some issues that need addressing.

One of the first things I noticed was the “menu” on the left side. I think you should make the arrows active links to more info. I don’t know what you could do with the “So what do I do?”, but the “About Us” should definitely be a link, not just the “click here” at the end.

Damn, good idea. I'm still amazed how I'm all caught up in the details so I miss the easier and more obvious things. Either that or I have no common sense. I could link the "So what do I do?" to the walkthrough on the ordering process contained in the FAQ or pop it in one of my cool little floating windows. I want to maybe add some screenshots to the process to make it ultra easy for people to "get it".

Comin'OutSwingin said:
Also, I think your “Rabid Teddies” logo at the top of the page should link back to the home page when you go to other pages.

Cool, good idea and that's doable. I think it should be a snap change in .css and I'm done for all pages.

Comin'OutSwingin said:
Another thing that kind of annoyed me was when I went to click on a pic of a particular shirt; I was expecting to see that same pic, only larger. Most of the time that didn’t happen. Sometimes there was a pic of a different color shirt altogether. I wanted to see that pic larger, not a pic of a different color shirt and someone in a different pose.

You're talkin about the item category page where it shows the clothing on a model? I definitely agree on that. I'll change all thumbs to match the detail pics.

Comin'OutSwingin said:
I do like the option of picking which of the Rabid designs goes on the shirt that I would like. That is very nice. Another thing that is missing, though, is your method of printing. I’m guessing since you are customizing to order, that your are heat pressing them. Is this so? I think it would be a good idea to put on the FAQ the method of printing.

I really should add the method of printing and possibly the manufacturer info. I was trying to create kind of a clothing "brand" where I can offer the same line of clothes but come out with different sites with design themes. Anyway, I'm on the cheap and using a heat press with transfer paper from Alpha Supply and an Epson C86 w/Durabrite inks. After doing more research recently, which I should have done a year ago, I'm going to look at the Magic Mix bulk stuff and plastisol transfers, possibly vinyl. I'm not so sure about outsourcing screen printing but I'd really like to go to something of better quality because my clothes are high end.

Comin'OutSwingin said:
Overall, I think you are on the right track.;) Like you said, it is a work in progress.

Much success to you!:D

Thank you! You wouldn't beleive how much work went into it up to this point and I still have a way to go but I'm having fun, which is weird.

Brian

·
2,957 Posts
rabid said:
I'm still amazed how I'm all caught up in the details so I miss the easier and more obvious things. [/font]
Yeah, that's very easy to do. That's why it's good to have a forum like this where you can get a variety of opinions and they can see some things you just easily missed.
rabid said:
I really should add the method of printing and possibly the manufacturer info. I was trying to create kind of a clothing "brand" where I can offer the same line of clothes but come out with different sites with design themes. Anyway, I'm on the cheap and using a heat press with transfer paper from Alpha Supply and an Epson C86 w/Durabrite inks. After doing more research recently, which I should have done a year ago, I'm going to look at the Magic Mix bulk stuff and plastisol transfers, possibly vinyl. I'm not so sure about outsourcing screen printing but I'd really like to go to something of better quality because my clothes are high end.
That's a way to go. I guess it all depends on what you are going for in a look for your shirts. Some people prefer screen printed shirts (me!), others prefer heat-pressed, and still others don't care one way or the other. You have so many design options and different kinds of items to put them on, it would be pretty expensive to try to get all of that stuff screen printed to have a decent inventory. Maybe one day that could be a goal, but I don't see that you have much of a problem with the way you are currently doing it.

rabid said:
Thank you! You wouldn't beleive how much work went into it up to this point and I still have a way to go but I'm having fun, which is weird.
Oh yes I would! I'm in the middle of doing my site right now! Never built a site before. It is hard work. I'm also in the midst of getting an IT degree and the web design classes I have taken have come in handy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love your designs. What an original idea. It's strange to see your designs today, because I found a live skunk in my garage this morning and now he is laying on its back and twitching. . . Rabies?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Comin'OutSwingin said:
That's a way to go. I guess it all depends on what you are going for in a look for your shirts. Some people prefer screen printed shirts (me!), others prefer heat-pressed, and still others don't care one way or the other. You have so many design options and different kinds of items to put them on, it would be pretty expensive to try to get all of that stuff screen printed to have a decent inventory. Maybe one day that could be a goal, but I don't see that you have much of a problem with the way you are currently doing it.
Thanks that makes me a feel a little better. Most people I've talked to in my target market don't care one way or another and most don't even know the difference. I do though and I'll probably end up morphing my design process if this business becomes worthwhile.

Comin'OutSwingin said:
Oh yes I would! I'm in the middle of doing my site right now! Never built a site before. It is hard work. I'm also in the midst of getting an IT degree and the web design classes I have taken have come in handy!
Yeah that was dumb for me to say, just about everyone here has built or is building a web site. Dur. In the process of all of this I self-taught myself Dreamweaver, Photoshop, CSS and bunch of other stuff which turns out to be pretty useful. Of course, the end result is that I didn't learn the right way and make easy mistakes. I'm so glad for feedback.

Thanks again.

Brian

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
juraj gavurnik said:
I love your designs. What an original idea.
Thanks!

juraj gavurnik said:
It's strange to see your designs today, because I found a live skunk in my garage this morning and now he is laying on its back and twitching. . . Rabies?
Haha, you're killin' me here. :D

Brian

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good work on the site design, I think it is really effective at portraying the mood of your products. The contrast between the grey text, background and boxes, and the comic jagged fonts and designs of your products makes the site feel clean and professional but also comic and inviting.

I do agree however, that the logo on the top left should go to the homepage.

The teddies are really funny.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PlunderGuy said:
Good work on the site design, I think it is really effective at portraying the mood of your products. The contrast between the grey text, background and boxes, and the comic jagged fonts and designs of your products makes the site feel clean and professional but also comic and inviting.

That's an exquisite critique if I ever saw one. Thanks!

PlunderGuy said:
I do agree however, that the logo on the top left should go to the homepage.

The teddies are really funny.
Damn, making that thing a link is going to be much harder than I thought. It's a background image of a <div> so I'll need to cut it up in Photoshop and make it the foreground image of that box. More than one person has stated that though, so I'll probably bite the bullet.

Thanks again.

I checked out your site, it rocked my face. I love the idea and especially the vintage pics.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I'm an idiot. I just made the image into an imagemap in the foreground, piece of cake.

Someone else just told me they tried clicking on it to go back home too. Why?!?!

·
Registered
14 Posts
The logo/homepage button has just become one of those things on websites. If you look around it is everywhere. And since you have a logo exactly where the logo/home button is on all of those sites people just assume its one too. Even though I knew it wasn't when I was looking at you site I kept trying to click it. I has just become habit for most people, or at least me, either way.

OH and thanks for the kind words about my site.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all. I thought this thread was dead!

I've been making so many changes my head is spinning, but I'm having fun. Man is it hard to promote your stuff on the net...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I really like your artistic style, kinda of cute, but with an attitude. I only had time for a quick glance. Have you considered doing a comic book, or an online comic featuring your characters and cross marketing your shirts and the comic?

Wishing you great success.
Bob-O

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bob-O said:
I really like your artistic style, kinda of cute, but with an attitude. I only had time for a quick glance. Have you considered doing a comic book, or an online comic featuring your characters and cross marketing your shirts and the comic?

Wishing you great success.
Bob-O
Thanks a bunch Bob.

Funny you ask this, I actually have thought about cross-marketing with a comic. Before this idea popped, I was working on a traditional layout comic for print. I then scrapped that and started breaking out of the box and developing it for on-line only. I had a few inquiries about getting it into print and then I just got too busy. I still am and the business is suffering for it.

Anyway, t comic is not actually based on the Teddies, they're a by-product of one of the character's inventions...

:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts