T-Shirt Forums banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Nice use of a clip!

Alibaba.com has a P600 decoder so you don't need chips anymore, just a one button press for reset all.

·
Registered
265 Posts
@jgabby Hey dude... shame that Dozer shutdown the FB group, there was still some good info on there. :/

Anyway, I'm just about to do the DX4/DX7 conversion (along with the P600 Chip Decoder install that @treefox2118 mentioned)...

It's been a while, I'm curious how the DX7 part of your setup is working out... is it still running strong? Anything to watch out for, etc?

Just trying to decide whether it's really worth installing that mod right now... my machine is already flushed and torn down, so it's not the work... just the reliability, does the DX7 mod still work well?

Thanks for the update man, I've learned a lot from your posts!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
@jgabby Hey dude... shame that Dozer shutdown the FB group, there was still some good info on there. :/

Anyway, I'm just about to do the DX4/DX7 conversion (along with the P600 Chip Decoder install that @treefox2118 mentioned)...

It's been a while, I'm curious how the DX7 part of your setup is working out... is it still running strong? Anything to watch out for, etc?

Just trying to decide whether it's really worth installing that mod right now... my machine is already flushed and torn down, so it's not the work... just the reliability, does the DX7 mod still work well?

Thanks for the update man, I've learned a lot from your posts!

Is it worth to install ? I would say if you have no problem change nothing.

For me I stick with this system, as faster maintenance, easy refill, no ink loss when changing dampers... I will never never never never never go back to original system.

Name could be DX6 dampers as well, depending where you order.

Reliability of DX7 dampers, I use same dampers that are on printers

Mutoh ValueJet 1608 Hybrid / Valuejet 1608HS / ValueJet 1614 / ValueJet 1618 / Valuejet 1324 / Valuejet 1624 / Valuejet 1638 / Valuejet 1638W / Valuejet 426UF / Valuejet 1626UH / Valuejet 628 / Valuejet 2638 / Valuejet 1617H / Valuejet 1628TD / Valuejet 2628TD / Valuejet 1624W / Valuejet 1638WX / Valuejet 1638X Epson Stylus Pro 7700 / Stylus Pro 7710 / Stylus Pro 7900 / Stylus Pro 9700 / Stylus Pro 9710 / Stylus Pro 9900 / Stylus Pro 9910 / Stylus Pro 11880, Yinghe YH-1608S, TEC Sign Maker TJ-1826 / BJ-85D, SuperImage SuperJet SJ-1600E1-DX6 / SuperJet SJ-1800E1-DX6 / SuperJet SJ-1600W1-DX6 / SuperJet SJ-1800W1-DX6 / SuperJet SJ-1600E2-DX6 / SuperJet SJ-1800E2-DX6 / SuperJet SJ-1600W2-DX6 / SuperJet SJ-1800W2-DX6

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I have converted the inkbay to dx4 wide filter dampers.
Has been working great!

I did not take the whole inkbay out. I used the body of older carts to hold the chip in place. Takes a little finessing, but definitely worth it.

Will change the printhead dampers to dx7 if the current stock ones start giving me trouble.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi! I'm new to DTG and I've been a lurker of this forum for quite some time, but I want to thank @jgabby for his tutorials and posts!

With the help of this thread, I finally finished my "Epson R3000+UFO".
Here are some photos:

It doesn't show in the pictures but the DX4 dampers are connected to ink bags.
Everything seems to be working fine with the ink distribution, I'm not happy with the printings but that's a problem to be solved on another thread :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Does converting to DX4/DX7 dampers make it possible to use IA inks? what about the printhead itself, is that still not problematic?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Does converting to DX4/DX7 dampers make it possible to use IA inks? what about the printhead itself, is that still not problematic?
I personally had issues with IA white ink with this conversion. I am not planning to use this is ink any time soon.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You can use IA ink without this conversion.

Replacing ink cartridges with dampers is for convenience... cartridge microchips are fickle, they love to crap out... carts leak, have to be replaced regularly... importing from China is the cheapest method, but it adds up when you need to keep buying them every month or two just to have extras on-hand in case something dies... ink carts are by far the worst part of the entire system.

Dampers sidestep that whole problem.

It has nothing to do with ink brands though, I was running IA ink in a stock setup and it was fine.

And yes, White ink is still problematic in ANY direct to garment printer... there's no fixing the fact that White ink air dries in minutes... which means ANY direct to garment printer needs to have White ink run through the lines at LEAST every 24 hours... otherwise you start risking ink dried in the lines (cart lines, printhead, cap station, everywhere).

I would suggest not buying a DTG until you understand just what you're getting into... these (White Ink) machines are a disaster waiting to happen... you need to be on the ball, every single day... and when they break, it's expensive and (down)time consuming... it's like fixing your car on the side of the road out in the middle of nowhere.

IA ink has nothing to do with this thread topic.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You can use IA ink without this conversion.

Replacing ink cartridges with dampers is for convenience... cartridge microchips are fickle, they love to crap out... carts leak, have to be replaced regularly... importing from China is the cheapest method, but it adds up when you need to keep buying them every month or two just to have extras on-hand in case something dies... ink carts are by far the worst part of the entire system.

Dampers sidestep that whole problem.

It has nothing to do with ink brands though, I was running IA ink in a stock setup and it was fine.

And yes, White ink is still problematic in ANY direct to garment printer... there's no fixing the fact that White ink air dries in minutes... which means ANY direct to garment printer needs to have White ink run through the lines at LEAST every 24 hours... otherwise you start risking ink dried in the lines (cart lines, printhead, cap station, everywhere).

I would suggest not buying a DTG until you understand just what you're getting into... these (White Ink) machines are a disaster waiting to happen... you need to be on the ball, every single day... and when they break, it's expensive and (down)time consuming... it's like fixing your car on the side of the road out in the middle of nowhere.

IA ink has nothing to do with this thread topic.
I'm not sure its true that people are doing this just for convenience (cart issues), then it makes no sense to change the head dampers, I got the impression it's to help with ink flow by increasing the damper sizes. An IA ink seems to be for a lot of people problematic with the stock P600 system.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm not sure its true that people are doing this just for convenience (cart issues), then it makes no sense to change the head dampers, I got the impression it's to help with ink flow by increasing the damper sizes. An IA ink seems to be for a lot of people problematic with the stock P600 system.
There's talk of an ink flow benefit, but I honestly question whether that's a placebo... it's a pressurized system.

I could be wrong, but I didn't notice a huge ink flow problem with a stock setup (though I suppose ink settling in the lines could build up quicker with smaller tubing)... but IA inks are like water, literally... the "settling" is the only problem, not an ink flow restriction from dampers being "too small" or the like.

What you're referring to is only half the story... as far as I know, there was a bad batch of IA ink that circulated a while back, due to poor handling of the volatile WHITE ink... some of our European friends had problems (which may have also been due to the long shipping times overseas = read: settling)... IA reps said it was because the company hadn't figured out (yet), that they needed to teach suppliers to handle the inks a certain way (White needs to be shaken daily, it can't sit on a shelf for weeks/months)... basically, nobody was shaking them in storage and that caused settling, which caused immediate grief for some unsuspecting DTG owners... I think you can read about all this (and all the questions you have about IA inks) on the IA website... I don't work for them, but I also don't have any complaints using their inks... and the cure times are much better than DuPont, so they shouldn't be overlooked in your research (the KEY word).

As far as the dampers go, they're a "consumable"... meaning they eventually clog and need to be replaced (depends on your print volume)... carts are harder to deal with in this context, as mentioned in my post above... cart "dampers" are an easy swap, which is what you want when you're in the middle of a print run and your machine stops working.

The printhead damper mod is again, a matter of convenience... when one of them clogs and needs to be replaced, it's NO small task to get into the printhead and swap one out (or even inspect to see if that's the problem)... I THINK this was mentioned earlier in this thread, the benefits of the head damper mod.

All the damper mods do is allow easier/access/cheaper/maintenance, which is an inevitable fact of running a White ink DTG... you don't need to do these mods, and you really shouldn't until you get more familiar with running your machine stock... you gotta learn to ride the bike, before you start building custom bikes.

Learn through experience, not cutting corners following advanced tips on forums... understanding the entire system from the ground-up is the only way you'll be able to keep a DIY machine running with the least amount of pain / without painting yourself into a corner... there's nothing worse than not being able to fill an order, AND not knowing what your options are to get running again in a pinch (if your shipment from China is gonna take 10+ days to reach you, for example).

There's no substitution for personal experience... and you will die a painful death in the DIY DTG game without it... people will help randomly online, but there's no real support... bite the bullet, learn hard, THEN customize to suit (and contribute back to the community when you can)... just doing it and rolling with the punches, is how it's done.

You don't get a foolproof system with DIY... you get a simple roadmap... then it's up to you to take the initiative and make your life a success... for example, you need to find all these dampers and mod parts on your own... you can buy ink carts in China, but there's no ONE guy anyone can tell you about... it's up to you to research WHAT you need and WHO to buy it from... it's work, and the only way to figure it out is to learn it innately through bare necessity and the pressure to make your project a success... nobody can teach "experience".

Point being, IA inks quality control issues have been solved... those issues never had anything to do with the P600... if you haven't read about that yet (because you're not reading what IA reps are writing), then you have more DTG research to do before you should be considering "head damper mods" on a custom DIY printer. :)

Keep reading, buy a machine and figure out how to make it work... THEN start doing mods because you understand WHY you want them for your particular business needs.

Or buy a prebuilt machine that comes with support... I hear @spectra is pretty good! ;)

Anyway, off topic... so I'll leave it at that.... good luck, just do it!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Cheers for the reply and insight.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I finally have all my parts for the "damper" conversion, I'll be making the mods this weekend.

For me, it's just about the convenience of swapping out dampers when they fail.

I've had to open the damper assembly way too much lately. Not sure exactly why I've been having issues, but this will save time troubleshooting for sure.

·
Registered
119 Posts
What do you do with the 3 pin black PK/MK switch. I have connected the 2 red cables together, this works but doesn't allow me to do an ink charge. Is it possible, what happens if I connect the black also?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Are your cart chip reading full? I believe that's what controls the ability to do an ink charge.

What do you do with the 3 pin black PK/MK switch. I have connected the 2 red cables together, this works but doesn't allow me to do an ink charge. Is it possible, what happens if I connect the black also?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeh thats not the problem. You know above the printhead there is 2 pins, a white and black. When you convert to DX7 dampers, you can ,forget the white but need to put the black back and connect the wires. What is the correct connection of these wires?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeh thats not the problem. You know above the printhead there is 2 pins, a white and black. When you convert to DX7 dampers, you can ,forget the white but need to put the black back and connect the wires. What is the correct connection of these wires?
You ever figure this out?

I have a pic of the wires from @jgabby (I think), but I can't tell what he's actually done with the loose ends??

It looks like they're just taped... but then they're also hanging down next to the dampers... are they attached to something for grounding/circuit completion??

81 - 100 of 130 Posts