T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I thought I would just make a quick tip for those of you new to selling online. I work for a digital agency that deals with a lot of large online retailers in Australia.

If you're looking to sell online, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT use WordPress. I know what you have heard "it's great fore SEO, it's easy to use, it's super flexible with all the plugins, you can get loads of free themes..." etc etc. I've heard it all. WordPress is a blog engine and unless your site is a blog do not use WordPress to build your eCommerce site. There is better tools out there for the job that are free and often provide better exposure for you.

So! My first recommendation for those of you looking for a theme-able online store check out: Big Cartel - Simple shopping cart for artists, designers, bands, record labels, jewelry, crafters

Big Cartel allows you to sell your products online for free for up to 5 products. There is paid plans which won't break the bank for more items starting at $9.99 a month. It's worth it, trust me. It will manage your inventory which is hugely important and is highly theme-able. A lot of respectable tee designers use it such as UGMONK and more.

My second recommendation which is slightly more expensive, but if you're willing to spend it you will be playing on a world leading eCommerce framework, that is Magento Go. Magento Go - Hosted eCommerce for Small and Emerging Merchants

Magento Go starts from $15 a month, and is jammed packed with all the best Magento features so it's worth it. The themes for it often aren't free, you could be paying a few hundred for a theme. However a lot of the theme developers will add your logo for a small fee and the themes look amazing. The price is not that much when you consider the full Magento framework is $14,000 per year, without any web development. This entry level hosted version is perfect for people with little knowledge for web development.

Don't skimp on your website and hack WordPress or other CMS (like Joomla) to make it eCommerce, should you become successful and need to upgrade your website you will find it extremely hard to find anyone that will touch it.

If anyone knows of any other eCommerce options they've used feel free to recommend them!

Regards,
Jason S
We Are Love

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.