T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With CobraInk closing and my apparent inability to fix the 1430 we got from them, we're looking at getting an Epson Surecolor F570 Pro Sublimation Printer, but I have Questions(TM) about it before I tell my boss we should get one. I have only very little experience with the ink transfer we were doing initially and it looks like the sublimation is similar but I want to discount that impression with the fact that I don't actually know sublimation. I only really have experience with cut HTV and printed HTV from Wellington House.
  • How reliable is the printer? Has anybody had consistent issues with the printer that wasn't due to user error, like does it produce bands in the image often, does the ink not pull correctly, does the printer just print everything in monochromatic blue/green, that kind of thing (errors I have experienced with the ink transfer printer (it was old when I started working here in June 2019)).
  • How long has the sub stayed on shirts? I'm near certain that it was how I was applying the ink transfer, but I've had 50/50 luck with ink transfer (first shirt I did is still looking great, my second one took it off in the dryer immediately).
  • Personal opinions on the printer? Again, this would be the first machine I work with so I would really like to know what I may be headed into.
I did already take a look at some posts about it and as far as I can tell the overall impression with the printer is positive. I am going to look again to see if there's info I need that I haven't thought of yet or have missed. Thank you for any responses you have! I'd love to get into sublimation even if it's just to get a little experience under my belt with silly small projects that get worn once and never again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just found JazzBlueRT's post Epson "ET-2720 V Epson SC F570" and also wanted to ask: who would you recommend getting the printer from? JazzBlueRT said he got a $100 Coastal gift card so I think he got it from Coastal? I think I might know who that is but anyway, if you have a recommendation, please let me know please and thank you!

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Sublimation is different than other types of transfers. It isn't something that gets stuck to the fabric, but rather it enters into the individual polyester fibers. Short of exposure to high temperatures, say 340-400+, it stays there.

You wouldn't want to leave a sublimation printer sitting unused, or you'll get clogged nozzles. Daily use is best, but can probably get by "exercising" it 2 or 3 times a week. If you screw-up and let it sit too long, will probably need to flush the head with cleaning solution.

One last note. Ink expires, sublimation ink maybe a bit faster than others. Though theoretically good for two years, my first batch of sublimation ink turned to poop after a year. Took me a while (and two printers) to figure out what had happened.

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
With CobraInk closing and my apparent inability to fix the 1430 we got from them, we're looking at getting an Epson Surecolor F570 Pro Sublimation Printer, but I have Questions(TM) about it before I tell my boss we should get one. I have only very little experience with the ink transfer we were doing initially and it looks like the sublimation is similar but I want to discount that impression with the fact that I don't actually know sublimation. I only really have experience with cut HTV and printed HTV from Wellington House.
  • How reliable is the printer? Has anybody had consistent issues with the printer that wasn't due to user error, like does it produce bands in the image often, does the ink not pull correctly, does the printer just print everything in monochromatic blue/green, that kind of thing (errors I have experienced with the ink transfer printer (it was old when I started working here in June 2019)).
  • How long has the sub stayed on shirts? I'm near certain that it was how I was applying the ink transfer, but I've had 50/50 luck with ink transfer (first shirt I did is still looking great, my second one took it off in the dryer immediately).
  • Personal opinions on the printer? Again, this would be the first machine I work with so I would really like to know what I may be headed into.
I did already take a look at some posts about it and as far as I can tell the overall impression with the printer is positive. I am going to look again to see if there's info I need that I haven't thought of yet or have missed. Thank you for any responses you have! I'd love to get into sublimation even if it's just to get a little experience under my belt with silly small projects that get worn once and never again.
We've had ours for just about a year, with ZERO issues (knocking on wood) Has sat for up to 3 weeks between jobs and not even one head cleaning.

Dye sublimation on polyester is permanent. It does not fade.

I just found JazzBlueRT's post Epson "ET-2720 V Epson SC F570" and also wanted to ask: who would you recommend getting the printer from? JazzBlueRT said he got a $100 Coastal gift card so I think he got it from Coastal? I think I might know who that is but anyway, if you have a recommendation, please let me know please and thank you!
Pretty much everyone has them at a discount now. These bad boys are huge. I picked mine up from a local distributor and they had to un-crate it just to fit in my mid-sized sedan. I would try to get it local if you can. That way if it did need service, you had a place to bring it.

The size is roughly a yard long and half a yard deep. Weight is 125 pounds. They look so cute and small in pictures from Epson, but they are a beast.

For what I do (t-shirts) the size is overkill. But smaller printers that can print 13x19 inch transfers were hard to come by. Otherwise I would have purchased an ET15000 and saved $2,000. It even took me a couple of weeks to find the 570 due to shortages. Epson also has a smaller hobbyist dye sub printer for around $400 but the largest paper it prints is legal, I think.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you NoXid! So technically my impression was right for a different reason than I thought. At the moment I don't have enough shirt orders right now to justify the sub printer even with the one colors I usually do, but if I do get it then I can do multicolors and gradients in house instead once tourist season kicks in (assuming no Covid outbreaks, knock on wood...). It'd be suuuper nice to be able to do that and be able to expand the services we offer (and then we can get enough money to justify me wanting to get into embroidery too). What I've found so far is telling me maintenance wouldn't be difficult too (I'd have a harder time not burning my hands on a platen).

Thank you Splathead! Good to know that the F570 is overkill for shirts (although the bigger printing size may come in handy for festival gear runs). I should probably look into the ET15000 then. I'd love to buy the F570 (or ET15000) local, but unfortunately I live in rainy Southeast Alaska where the highways are made of water (and yet still underfunded by the people who said they'd pay for them). I am the local service for my equipment. 😅
We are trying to find a secondary location to store the inventory we're keeping on hand for the fishermen, so assuming I'm going with the autopilots and sounders and stuff, there may end up being space for the F570 anyway. Here's to hoping!

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
We've had ours for just about a year, with ZERO issues (knocking on wood) Has sat for up to 3 weeks between jobs and not even one head cleaning.
Really. Wow, that is encouraging :cool: I wonder if Epson did something smart with their ink or the print head to avoid issues? As opposed to folks (like me) running 3rd-party sub inks in regular Epson printers. Or perhaps my experience with the ink going bad has me a little paranoid 👽

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
Really. Wow, that is encouraging :cool: I wonder if Epson did something smart with their ink or the print head to avoid issues? As opposed to folks (like me) running 3rd-party sub inks in regular Epson printers. Or perhaps my experience with the ink going bad has me a little paranoid 👽
I would hope at that price they slapped some industrial strength print heads in that sucker.

·
Banned
255 Posts
The new version is the F570 Pro, they liquidated the F570 a few months back.

Yes, I got from Coastal. Their support is awesome. I do not know if they offer free shipping on it anymore and the $100 gift card offer is no more. I cannot specify enough how great Coastal support is.

JPPlus is good to buy from, plus free shipping.

I am angry at Conde because they ghosted me when an entire case of mugs had defective coatings.

Refurbed old non-pro version

I only use Epson ink because this printer does not use a lot of ink when used with high release papers. Along with the Edge Print software, I no longer have color matching issues like I did on my converted ET-2720. Yeah, the Epson ink is 3x (.17 vs .06 per ml) as much but how much is a bad print job gonna cost.

I sublimate fabrics and only use the F570 with tacky paper. I tried a few different tacky papers and they all required settings changes to the platen, tension, speed etc... or they ended up with "pizza wheel" marks.

I finally found the Sublicolor made specifically for the F570. SubliColor SuperSport Tacky Sublimation Paper Roll for Epson F570, Epson 6370, Mutoh RJ900 & More - 24" x 100' Much more expensive, but I literally went from 15% product spoilage to 0% with this paper.

I have had a few quirks. I cannot access admin (don't know password and never set one) and Epson says there is no solution other than to send to factory. I also have had failure to recognize paper and paper change issues after using 3d Heat Transfer Film. Also issues with JetCol DHS papers in the sheet feeder. That is why I do not use it for hard substrates. It is probably just a paper setting issue and the 3d Heat Transfer Film is a shiny silvery paper. The JetCol DHS papers for hard substrates also misfeeds a lot in my ET-2720 which is a shame because it is a really good paper for mugs.

Also if you leave it off for more than a day and print immediately after turning it on, it will start printing, stop and does a head cleaning which will fubar that print.

I wish the sheet feeder handled 13x19 papers, max is 11x17

My first maintenance box last about 3 months, the second about a year. Probably a lot of wasted ink in initial setup.

I have it sitting on one of these Realspace Magellan Tech 2.0 Printer Stand - Office Depot

Overall, it just works and works reliably. Colors are accurate to the screen and the Edge Print software makes matching colors simple for those stubborn colors which sometimes shift.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I only use Epson ink because this printer does not use a lot of ink when used with high release papers. Along with the Edge Print software, I no longer have color matching issues like I did on my converted ET-2720. Yeah, the Epson ink is 3x (.17 vs .06 per ml) as much but how much is a bad print job gonna cost.

Also issues with JetCol DHS papers in the sheet feeder. That is why I do not use it for hard substrates. It is probably just a paper setting issue and the 3d Heat Transfer Film is a shiny silvery paper. The JetCol DHS papers for hard substrates also misfeeds a lot in my ET-2720 which is a shame because it is a really good paper for mugs.

Overall, it just works and works reliably. Colors are accurate to the screen and the Edge Print software makes matching colors simple for those stubborn colors which sometimes shift.
Too bad about the JetCol 😕 That's my go-to for mugs, and has worked fine for me with: WF-7210, ET-15000, and now an ET-2720. It is a bit thicker than a lot of sub paper, but not as thick as the cards I ran through the ET-2720 before using it for sublimation. Never an issue of it misfeeding. Interesting how there can be variation in mass-produced machines.

Painless colors would be nice. For my pigment card prints I'm currently using OEM Epson ink, and it just works :). My sub prints have always been a bit off, but close enough for my art. It's most obvious in a few grayscale designs, but I just set it to print in Grayscale rather than Color, and that fixes that.

Thanks for the info. Maybe one day When I get big I'm gonna get an electric guitar F570. When I get real big. ;)

·
Banned
255 Posts
Too bad about the JetCol 😕 That's my go-to for mugs, and has worked fine for me with: WF-7210, ET-15000, and now an ET-2720. It is a bit thicker than a lot of sub paper, but not as thick as the cards I ran through the ET-2720 before using it for sublimation. Never an issue of it misfeeding. Interesting how there can be variation in mass-produced machines.

Painless colors would be nice. For my pigment card prints I'm currently using OEM Epson ink, and it just works :). My sub prints have always been a bit off, but close enough for my art. It's most obvious in a few grayscale designs, but I just set it to print in Grayscale rather than Color, and that fixes that.

Thanks for the info. Maybe one day When I get big I'm gonna get an electric guitar F570. When I get real big. ;)
I really like the paper and was perfect for mugs printed on the ET-2720. Maybe I got a bad batch. I have the 4x9 also, but have not tried it yet.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I can do multicolors and gradients in house
Okay, from your postings I'm not sure if you know this: Sublimation only works on polyester (shirts). And the shirt MUST BE a lighter color than the dye/ink. So the best case is 100% white poly shirts. If you apply blue ink to a yellow shirt, it will come across as green. Black shirt? Blank image. So those are other things to keep in mind.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the replies again!
JazzBlueRT, thank you for the vender recommends! I had somebody give me a glowing recommend on Conde so I'll be sure to be wary of them. Thank you for the info on the printer stand, too! Now I'm thinking about doing mugs, too...

DrivingZiggy, thank you for the info! I had an idea that I would have that limitation on color based on what the boss told me. Good thing I like colors, so maybe I can pull something interesting off. That does put a wrench in the whole 'being able to use it for festival shirts' idea -- nobody wants to be running around Mayfest in a soaked white shirt. Unless they're a local Troy, then all bets are off.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You can stilll purchase from them. The sited states:
"Cobra Inks is now WALAInk by Heat Transfer Warehouse"

·
Registered
133 Posts
I won't drag out this post but I have had mine 570 for 2 yrs. I got my from Spectrum in TX. Everyone else was out of them or charging shipping, These guys shipped free and even paid for tailgate lift as I don't have a dock. It is a great machine and is like an inkjet in that you have to use it from time to time. I have gone 3 weeks not using it. But I recommend you turn it off if not using frequently. I love mine, I know come the end of this year, we will probably selling it because we have downsized and the business is in my home. Rent for retail or industrial space here is threw the roof and I can't afford that.
But the machine is great, glad to have it, just think we will be overloaded at the end of the year here.
Anyway, we sublimate on a product from Specialty Materials that looks great and works well on dark, light colors and does not have to be polyester. We don't do much subbing on clothing though. We do more novelty like cups, keychains, pillows etc.
I have only had one issue and it was my fault, not realizing my user box was used up and didn't buy a backup. ALWAYS keep a set of inks and a user box in stock. As for inks. I bought 2 years ago on a deal 6 of each color. I still have some and use it and it is as good as the day it arrived. Everything we have remains in a cool (not cold) environment.
It is an easy machine to learn and use. And I love the versatility in using rolls, sheets etc.
Two downsides for me. The rolls they supply you do not like all products. We had to buy a different brand and the second thing is that the rolls have to have a 2" core and not many sub paper is sold on 2" core. Maybe the new pro is different.

Good Luck, what ever you decide and if you get the 570, I am betting you will love it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the replies!
13 Stitches, are you able to pull their site up? I haven't been able to.
DJCreations, thanks for your thoughts on it! I think we'll be waiting on getting the F570 if we do get it, because we just don't have the space at all. I'll keep Spectrum in mind though. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for the replies!
13 Stitches, are you able to pull their site up? I haven't been able to.
DJCreations, thanks for your thoughts on it! I think we'll be waiting on getting the F570 if we do get it, because we just don't have the space at all. I'll keep Spectrum in mind though. :)
Something I should have said was
If I had to do it all over again.... I would not change a thing. It has performed GREAT, the ink is reasonable and in 2 years it has performed perfectly. And I would buy from Spectrum AGAIN, Zak is the rep I talked to when I bought mine and to date, he still answers my emails and calls with no issue. They are always willing to help as much as they can and I don't buy anything from them other than the machine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Only half your investment. As important is your heat press and the size. With that size printer I would not go for anything smaller then 16x20. We have an f570 and love it. Our presses are all large as we have a 44” p8000 ds printer as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies!
DJCreations, once we get the space for sublimation I think I'll try Spectrum first. (Depending on if we'll ever get floor space back from the Wall of Garmin, haha).
DanBerg, I do already have a heat press that I believe is 16"x20", but thank you for covering that note! Now I'm curious about the P8000 DS printer, and it's going on my list of things to snoop about.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts