T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking to replace our toner sublimation. We currently use a Ricoh CL7000 with sub toners from ATI. The problem with it is that the reds or colors that have a red hue bleed bad after pressing on the shirt. We mainly screen print most of our work but we have some customers that just want a few shirts or want photo shirts. I do not like the bleeding problem and have tried many things to fix it so I started looking for a new sub process. We were looking at the Ricoh GX7000 with the sub ink. Some of the questions we have are:

Most all of our customers want a 50/50 t-shirt and I need to know if anyone has used the Ricoh GX7000 on 50/50 shirts?

If we use this system with transfer paper can we use 50/50 t-shirts?

How much does the ink cost break down to per square inch on a basic print?

Any information, bad or good, you can give me on using the Ricoh would be extremely helpful.

Thanks to all that can help me out! :)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
For the gx7000, you can run sublimation or chromablast
inks. Chromablast inks must be used with the chromablast
transfer paper. Chromablast is a good choice for white cotton
and 50/50 shirts. I do not have the cost with me right now.

I prefer color laser with normal toners for cotton and 50/50.
We have used oki's in the past with success.

We are working on next generation color laser printers
now. They will be based on Ricoh color laser printers.

For sublimation, the gx7000 and the gx e3300n are the
best choices.

You can get more education by watching some of
our videos.

YouTube - condesystems's Channel

let me know.

www.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help David! I hope you don't mind I have a few more question.

You quoted that "the Chromablast is a good choice for white cotton
and 50/50 shirts" but you did not say if the Ricoh gx7000 could be used on the 50/50 shirts.

If the Ricoh GX7000 can be used on the 50/50 do they have good washability or does the ink wash out of the cotton in the shirt and make the print look washed out.

Same question as above with the Chromablast inks.

Does the Chromablast inks have any clogging issues or clogging issues when not used for long periods?

On the cost I do not know if I figured it right. I watched one of the NBM & conde webinars and wrote this information down but may have it wrong. I figured the printer ink capacity (4 cartridges [email protected] 60ml and [email protected] 68ml for a total of 248ml) price for all 4 cartridges $440.00 divided by 248 ml = 1.774. I took that number (1.774) times 1.5 = $2.66 a print. Did I figure this right or am I wrong and if so what is the right way to figure the print cost. If figured this on the Ricoh GX7000 cartridges.

Do you carry or know anyone with the exception of ATI sub toners that will work in my Ricoh CL7000? I have looked many many times on the internet and have turned up no results. We can refill our cartridges if we can only buy the toner. The toner we are currently purchasing is $950.00 for 4 cartridges from ATI "Automatic Transfer Inc." I contacted them about the bleeding issue and everything they recommended did not work. When I told them about the problem they sent me some of there sample and they bleed also. The bleeding is not something you see right away it takes a few days before it happens and that is even after it has been washed. The very first sample I was sent from them did not have these problems but some sample I got a couple of years later did have the bleeding issues.
You also mentioned "you prefer color laser with normal toners for cotton and 50/50". Are you talking about regular OEM and if so how is the washabilty on those.

Sorry to be so long winded. I like to be thorough. I also have a few orders with several shirts to do in the next 2 weeks and may have to do them digitally (on our Roland VP300 with eco solvent ink) if I do not find a new system. I do not want to use the sub toner with the bleeding problem again ever! I changed transfer paper to imageclip last year and thought that solved the problem but seen a shirt last week and the red had bleed out around the text and it looked awful!

Decisions Decisions. My brain is starting to hurt I have looked and read so many different web sites icluding sawgrass and they tell you there inks work on t-shirt but don't say what kind. Why can't companies be more thorough when suppling there information?

Thanks for the link to the videos.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
with true sublimation you should NOT have any bleeding issues...that is with sublimation ink/paper/100% polyester...it will NOT work well on 50/50 as the sublimation only bonds with the polyester..the ink on the cotton will wash.

Chromablast is made for cotton or 50/50 BUT you cannot switch back and forth between sublimation and chromablast...if you change ink, you have to purge the prior ink which wastes the inks.
\I have not used chromablast with the ricoh...but with the epson printers you WILL have clogs

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Ok here goes.

1. Clogging: the Ricoh's perform very well, much better than epson's. An excellent solution.

2. The gx7000 can be loaded with sublijet r or chroma blast but can not easily be changed so
make your choice or buy two printers.

3. Gx7000 with chroma blast is a tuned solution for white cotton and 50/50 with excellent washability and minimal hand. It is not ideal for light or dark shirts. For that, consider a color laser printer. Washability appears to be slightly superior with 50/50 shirts.

4. Your cost numbers are too high. I do not have them with me for chroma blast. There has been an ongoing debate about the cost of printing with gx7000 and sublijet r. I actually printed 100's of pages and recorded ink usage. I posted a YouTube video on how to read the real levels.

YouTube - Checking Ricoh Ink Levels

My tests show a cost of ink and paper for a full coverage letter print at about $0.70.

I will look up the cost for chroma blast on the gx7000 on Monday.

Here is my article on the gx7000:

[media]http://www.conde.com/wdg/Road-To-Sublimation-Success-SA-2009.pdf[/media]

The gx7000 uses a lot less ink than an Epson. This is because the ink is more of a gel.
Your multiplier should be about .5 instead of 1.5

I have seen post from folks that have gone through carts very rapidly. I can only conclude that either the cart has malfunctioned or something is happening at the printer.

5. Sublimation toner: I am very familiar with dye migration that you speak of. There is no solution. I am not a fan of full color sublimation. Normal toners when used with transfer paper will work according to how good the paper is and bonding to the shirt. Some types wash better than others so always test.

Well, what did I leave out? Let me know.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just to add..
We are fairly new (few months) First thing we did was buy 2 Ricoh 7000 printers.
One for Sublimation, Poly's and One for chromoblast.
We tried (for kicks) sublimation on 50/50 shirts.....No good, faded look right off the bat, and worse after first wash.
Chromoblast, is not great, 400F 50 seconds, Med/High pressure, burns shirts, and chromoblast paper leaves a square unless you trim or use a cad cutter to cut our image. and.. it doesn't work well with coloured shirts.
ALL the above complaints can be avoided with a nice Oki printer, Good transfer paper and only 10 seconds or so of press time @ 320F..= no burning shirts. (trying Joto paper now) poly, 50/50 and cottons.
That's my opinion after a few months, and about 500 hundred shirts.
ps.
My Ricoh machines work very well. happy with the machines, and not that expensive considering they are a money making machine.

·
Registered
405 Posts
On 50/50 T shirts...that is Correct, not happy with either technology.
Sublimation is the Best thing we ever brought into our shop, trophies, plaques, poly jerseys, and shirts, towels...
cotton and 50/50.. forget it.
we use vinyl (ultra lite) (Joto) Awesome product, zero hand, 15 seconds, 320F, easy cut and weed.
Now about to try new transfer papers which are supposed to be very much improved over the last little bit for washability and durability. I will post back in 10 days after some trials with our new Oki printer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts