T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I plan on making the 1 color press in Fresener's book, but the directions are not too detailed and I was hoping to hear from someone who has made it.

In the list of materials he lists 'wood screws" but doesn't mention where to use them. According to the pictures, it looks like all the pieces are glued together (except for the hinges obviously). Is this correct? Could I make the unit more stable by using screws instead of glue or should I just use the glue? or could I use both glue and screws? I'm not sure if that would actually ruin it or not.

Thanks,

·
Registered
144 Posts
xucaen - It's usually okay to glue and screw - it's pretty standard woodwork practise. You must make sure that the screws don't come out the wood so check the length. Glue it all together with white wood glue. Support it with clamps if required. Make sure it is all square. Leave for 24hrs to dry. Drill your fine holes for the screws, then take a bigger drill and countersink the top of the hole so that the screw top is flush with the surface. If I remember this right isn't it just a screen with a hinge? If it is then I wonder if you would maybe be better buying a second hand stretched wooden frame and using that rather than trying to make one. It might even be cheaper.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts