T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay hello!! I have joined this forum in hopes of help on some questions! First of all I am planning out a design to put on a 100% polyester jacket, it is a coach jacket style. I've been doing lots of research but still have questions.
For this design I will be using heat press vinyl that is safe for polyester, but is the vinyl adhesive? Or just a sort of sheet of plastic?
Also, what is carrier, and how do I use it?
Do I cut the design on the plotter as it would look once it is done, or backwards?
I apologize I'm just really new to all of this but would love to become experienced!
Thank you for reading, help would be MUCH appreciated!!

· Registered
491 Posts
Welcome from Calif.

It has an adhesive on one side,Usually you cut on the dull side( adhesive side) and the clear side is what faces up when you apply it to the garmet and you want to cut the design backwards so when you flip it over and press it ,it will look as it should.

In most cases everyone pre presses the shirt/garment right before they press the HTV design to remove any moisture that may be in the garment for about 4 secs.

A Carrier sheet ( also known as parchment paper which is what i use) .apply your design on your product like tshirt etc and then place the carrier/parchament paper over the design and press as needed.

I feel that parchment paper lasts a lot longer for many many presses. I think i can get around 100 or so versus way less with a basic carrier sheet that some heat press suppliers provide. Dont use Wax paper..

I buy my parchment paper from wal-mart ,Great deal and buy the largest size available which i think is 16 or 17 inches wide.

As for pressing 100% polyester ? Be careful, you can ruin it sooner than you think and no fixing it,you can melt poly and burn it fast.

Proper temp, Pressing time and amount of pressure are VERY important when doing these...I can do tshirts all day long no problem.But these jackets are a killer until someone that uses your type of press gives you the magic numbers ,And thats what i need for my Heat press which is a hotronix fusion.

I will wait for someone to chime in on the 100 5 polyester. I did the same style of jackets and i had issues, More than i want to talk about and couldnt get it correct at all. I have a hotronix fusion,Titan 2 cutter and running Scalps4pro with Ai cc.

Also what Size ,brand of cutter , Heat press and software are you using ?

Hope some of this helps.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello! Most of the help I am getting is from my dad, he makes signs for his living but uses outdoor vinyl so i planned to use the same blade for the heat press vinyl. I'm REALLY new at this, it is my very first project so I'm using a regular iron, I do not have a heat press. :( The software my dad uses is usually illustrator and he runs the design through a Vinyl Express plotter, it is very old haha.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.