T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to start my own tee shirt business. What are the basics that I need to get started? I just want to make and sell my own custom designs. Will be selling online as well as in stores in my community. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
If you are doing your own designs then you are doing a clothing line. Search around here for those posts. That is a tough market.

What is your market? Do you have some designs ready? Are you going to print yourself or have someone do it? Do you have line sheets ready for the local stores? Do you have a budget or are you running on a shoe string?

Mostly, Have you written a business plan and marketing plan or are you just going to wing it? I have seen both from our locals around our shop, we even print for some of them.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I hate to be negative, and I do hope you prove me wrong... BUT in my experience people asking "how to start" don't have what it takes for this business.
The best way to start in my opinion is screen-printing. Don't waste your time trying to cut corners, and don't expect to be able to print everything from day one.

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
I hate to be negative, and I do hope you prove me wrong... BUT in my experience people asking "how to start" don't have what it takes for this business.
Yes, pretty much most will fail. I have to say that this is an easy way to make a tough living. A quick search of you tube with the search words "things screen printers don't say" will tell you what stamina you need to get into this biz.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey brandnoob-
Education is a good place to start. Use these Forums to learn from others' experiences. If you haven't already done this, the T-Biz Network store has a free download of the ebook "How To Print T-Shirts for Fun & Profit". Also check out the Key Courses video bundle for 99.00.

We took our first class with Scott back in the previous century, before we had a press, screens, inks or a squeegee. What we learned there saved us tons of time and money, and confirmed for us that screen printing was what we wanted to do.

Screen printing is definitely hard work, and many do fail for many different reasons. Learn what you can before you ink up your first screen.
Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
You should try to make it to a trade show....there are people there that will work with you as contract vendors. Try to find a dtg contract vender in your area and make sure that you learn the process of the dtg so you don't make a fool out of yourself with a client. Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts