T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I am about to get my sellers permit (I think thats what I need). I would like to order fomr S&S or Broder but what do I am not to sure what I need not sure whats the difference if any from a business license, tax id, sellers permit. Whats easier cheaper and what will allow me to order form these places. I am about to fill this form ( http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/boe400spa.pdf ) out because i imagine this is what I need but i just want to make sure that is why i ask before I waste my time and fill out the wrong form. Also if this form is the correct one could someone that has already filled one out or knows how to please help me out I emailed the people over at BOE but havent gotten response in a week or so so if anyone has some kind of instant messanger and can help me let me know and ill make one so I could get help. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi Shirthappens . . . . go for the taxID 1st . .
in some case you don't need a business permit . . .
as in my case .. I can run a business from my home and don't need a lic., or permit . . . and since I operate my store/business in another county, I am blanket'd under the markets occuptional lic., . .
so all I do is correct and submit sale tax eveery months . .

check with you local/county to see what is required before you fill out the forms online . .

Diane :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yes, in California you must apply for a "Seller's Permit". We've had ours a long time but this looks like what you need to fill out.

Also, I take it you are closer to S&S and Broder? I save a lot in shipping by buying closer to me (Staton Wholesale, TSC Apparel, Alpha Shirt).

When you open accounts, they will require you to "fax" in copy of your seller's permit. Some companies have been audited and hit with huge fines, so they are really strict. Americana is one of them...major hassle.

If you ever move, make sure you update your information because vendors can check the status of your seller's permit online.

Susan
Southern California

·
2,957 Posts
Yes, tax id# first. It's free and you can get one online in seconds. Just fill out the form and it will issue you one.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=102767,00.html

After that you will need your tax id# when you get your seller's permit. SSActivewear will require a seller's permit. I know in most states it is free also.

Most states also have satellite offices that will allow you to walk in, fill out the required forms, and receive your resale number, in person.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for response.. So I dont need a business license so that one is ruled out so all I need is a TAX I.D (which I need bfore I can get a Sellers permit, correct me if im wrong) then once i receive TAX I.D then I apply for sellers permit? And if you guys know how much is the sellers permit

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
So I dont need a business license so that one is ruled out
You may also want to check with your bank. Some banks require a business license if you want to open a "business checking" account. Some cities or counties require a business license if you have a business in their area (some just require a "fictitious business name statement".

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could anyone take the time and help me fill out any of these 2 forms Id really appreciate it theres just a couple things on each form that im not to sure of and i have contacted each place to help me but they take a while to respond.

Also @ SUZ you mean the shirt companies such as S&S or the small business that buy from them get fined.'

Once again thanks for your time and great helpful site glad i found you all.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Could anyone take the time and help me fill out any of these 2 forms Id really appreciate it theres just a couple things on each form that im not to sure of and i have contacted each place to help me but they take a while to respond.
They usually have instructions with the form and they are available by phone most days (they are probably more accessible by phone than email).

I remember I filled out the forms in their actual office and they were pretty helpful.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rodney said:
They usually have instructions with the form and they are available by phone most days (they are probably more accessible by phone than email).

I remember I filled out the forms in their actual office and they were pretty helpful.

Thanks will do that I will mail my tax id form (call me paranoid bu sometimes i dont trust cyberspace especially with my SSN). Also if you guys know how long does it to get each heard that the sellers permit is instant if you apply in person. As well as Tax ID if apply online? Anyone know? If not ill ask when i call tomorrow. Thanks

·
2,957 Posts
ShirtHappens said:
Thanks will do that I will mail my tax id form (call me paranoid bu sometimes i dont trust cyberspace especially with my SSN). Also if you guys know how long does it to get each heard that the sellers permit is instant if you apply in person. As well as Tax ID if apply online? Anyone know? If not ill ask when i call tomorrow. Thanks
Tax id is instant. You can also call the number on the page that I linked to, and get a tax id instantaneously over the phone.

In lots of states, seller's permits are instant, also. I'm not sure about CA, though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello all sorry to resurrect this thread but i have a question i wasnt sure if the people over at BOE or IRS could of helped but didnt ask. But im going to fill out the IRS online but have a question here it goes on line 2 it states:
Trade name of business ok so i am new dont have a business name and ive seen on some of the wholesalers applications and has a line for Company name. Well since im new do I just make up a name or could i just use my real name on both the SS-4 form and the wholesalers spplication? Knowing the people here I know i will get some kind of answer so thanks for the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
badalou what department/location did you go into? Do you have the address or phone number I can call. What I need to bring? I like to get a my tax id and resell license/premit. thankxs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts