T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

i've been browsing through these formus for a couple of weeks now, trying to build up the courage to go out there and get things started.

Just a quick question though, i'm from australia, and a lot of people are talking about needing a tax i.d number to purchase shirts through some wholesalers in the US. Does anyone from australia know if this is similar to an ABN? and if not, are we able to apply for one anyway?

Thanks a lot.
Josh
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,512 Posts
jungfrau said:
i'm from australia, and a lot of people are talking about needing a tax i.d number to purchase shirts through some wholesalers in the US. Does anyone from australia know if this is similar to an ABN? and if not, are we able to apply for one anyway?
I don't know how far the similarities/differences between a tax ID and an ABN go (I'd speculate they're fairly similar), but it doesn't really matter. Unfortunately we can't get a tax i.d., and the bigger (i.e. better) wholesalers won't ship here.

There are other options for Australians, but what many of us might consider the best options (like just going to one of the big three US t-shirt wholesalers) aren't possible.

There are t-shirt wholesalers who don't require a tax id, and of those a small number will ship here - but not surprisingly they don't tend to be the outfits with the best prices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn! haha

Thanks for your reply though.

I've also noticed that some people have suggested dollarshirts.com. Have you had any experience with them? As fas as i can tell the prices seem fairley reasonable, and on top of this they note on their site that they do offer international shipping, but i cant find any specific reference to Australia, so again i might be wrong.

cheers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,512 Posts
jungfrau said:
I've also noticed that some people have suggested dollarshirts.com. Have you had any experience with them?
I've checked out their website before, but I've never made an order from them.

jungfrau said:
As fas as i can tell the prices seem fairley reasonable
They are pretty reasonable if you look at it from the point of view of "How much is a shirt worth? How much should it cost? Can I make a profit at that price?". It's not a lot of money.

Despite that they're a lot more expensive than a major wholesaler (like 50% more expensive), so in the sense of "Are these the cheapest shirts on the market?" they're not reasonable.

That said, we can't get the cheapest shirts on the market, so that second comparison isn't particularly relevant (just frustrating :)).

jungfrau said:
they note on their site that they do offer international shipping, but i cant find any specific reference to Australia, so again i might be wrong.
They do ship to Australia. The problem is that they use UPS (and sometimes Global Priority), so the shipping cost is generally about 50% more than the shirts (i.e. if you have $100 of shirts, expect to pay an additional $150 for postage).

If you contact them directly you may be able to arrange a more reasonable postage method. I haven't tried, so I don't know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanks very much for your reply, it's good to see that people here are willing to share a bit of their knowledge.

I suppose my next conquest is to find a specific blank shirt that is going to work best for me. My hunt shall continue.

Thanks again for your insight.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,512 Posts
jungfrau said:
I suppose my next conquest is to find a specific blank shirt that is going to work best for me. My hunt shall continue.
We might be able to narrow that down for you too if you have some idea of the kind of thing you want.

It's always good to try several brands of blank, but you may not want to try several dozen ;)

Depending on what you're after it's probably been covered, so forum searches might turn something up. Failing that, feel free to ask away.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top