T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Need help with plastisol design

I've got a question about shadows or blends. Lets take a flame graphic as an example. The art is a vector file, bottom of the flame is orange and blends into yellow at the tip. Would I use two screens, one for the orange and one for the yellow and halftone both screens? I this how its done to achieve the color blend with spot colors?

·
Registered
227 Posts

MotoskinGraphix said:
I've got a question about shadows or blends. Lets take a flame graphic as an example. The art is a vector file, bottom of the flame is orange and blends into yellow at the tip. Would I use two screens, one for the orange and one for the yellow and halftone both screens? I this how its done to achieve the color blend with spot colors?
Can't help with your question havent had any Call for multicolor halftone orders yet.... But Im sure sooner or later someone will walk thru the door and ask for it LOL Then it will be time to experiment I guess..what you say makes sense though Im not sure if both colors would have to be half toned or just the last color printed??? Good question...

·
Registered
3,800 Posts

MotoskinGraphix said:

ok...ok..ok...david, you just gotta know Eh! :)

it all starts with the artwork.
w/spot colors etc. to make a nice flame you use a few colors and %'s too.
start with a white base and add the other 2-3 colors. (so yes a few screens and you get a nice flame).

you can also doit as a 4-Clr process, mind you that for this type of transfers it only becomes cost effective when you make 5,000 big sheets 25x38.

This is doing it nice, but it all starts from the artwork.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK...so I create the whole flame with a white base. Then add whatever colors I want on top...when you say%'s, are we talking transperant values of the ink colors? I dont need to do any color trapping etc? Spot colors right on top of eachother?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
hi David, i'm begining to believe that you want it to be more complicated than it actually is... !LOL

base color, % gradual Color1 blends to Color2 blends to Color 3...fade out..... or loop it.... something like that. :D

w/spot colors, (i like the sound of that.. Spot Colors), you can not mix them up on top of each other to create some other colors etc... same color %'s yes when using it with another color bg.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I am trying to uncomplicate the whole process. I just am not a printer and dont really understand all the lingo. I am a vinyl graphics guy who deals with vector art everyday. I heatpress thermoflex plus and use plastisol transfers. I can create the simple spot color type designs with no problems. I understand the basics of screenprinting...a screen per color etc. I know nothing of % etc. I do know with shadow and fades that designs become much more dimensional and interesting. Just looking for the simplest way to create the effect...rather how to prepare my artwork properly for printing. I personally am not going to print any of it but and understanding of the printing process should be beneficial to everyone. Especially the folks like me who dont print but want to order thier designs in plastisol transfers.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you're printing on white it's as simple as a 2 color spot separation. Your two spot colors would be an orange and a yellow. As long as you have a printer that can output halftones you are good to go.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
great ! i'm glade you found your Spot Color answer. :)

the car example is a 4 color process. It is more of a detail finish then with Spot colors.

4 color process makes sense when running 5,000 transfer sheets of the Jumbo sheet size 25"x38". On average you can gang about 20 full size designs per Jumbo Sheet.

This is the way to go if you're looking for supreme multi-color almost photo type designs. These transfers print on all colors, 4-6 sec. apply time at 375F.

The reason for the high volume is due the prep, pre-production and art stuff that needs to be done to run the job.

Different 4 color process transfer makers all each have their own unique way of making them beyond the standard basic. Also, each 4-clr-process job varys beause the artwork for each job does too. ....... making sense ?:D

What some manufacturers do is combine jobs from 3-4 artists/designers and run them together. This makng it more affordable and you still get an amazing preco.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts