T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of finishing the labels for my shirts.

My company is setup as an LLC and I'm using a DBA (doing business as) for my clothing line. The DBA name is the name of the line to be clear.

For the label I'm going to put;

Clothing line name/logo
size S M L
material 100% (fabric)
made in country

The shirts come from many of the recommended vendors used on this site. Do I need to put an RN# on my shirt?

If so does it have to be the original manufacturer of the shirts (vendors where I ordered then from) or could I put my own (is this even possible)?

I've been reading some searches but I'm getting a bit of information overload based on different questions asked.

Here is a snippet from an FTC statement

You are required to label covered products to show the name or identifying number of a U.S. business responsible for manufacturing or marketing the product or the name of a foreign manufacturer. Therefore, you may use your company business name on the label instead of an RN. The business name is the full name that appears on business documents, such as purchase orders and invoices. It is not a trademark, brand, or designer name (unless that is also the name under which the company conducts business). Alternatively, the goods may be labeled with the RN or business name of the company that is buying the goods from you - such as a distributor or retailer. If you are acquiring the finished products from a U.S. manufacturer, importer, or distributor, they can remain labeled with the RN or business name of that company. RN numbers are available only to businesses residing in the U.S. However, imported goods can be labeled with the name of their foreign manufacturer.
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I may have found the answer. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I buy a blank from a recommended vendor. I'm selling my line on my site and or to retail outlets as my own with my designs and finishes. I'll have to have either the vendor where i got the blanks from RN# on the shirts or my own.

I'd prefer to use my own as it would seem more finished and I could use it as a design piece.

Clarification please.

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think I may have found the answer. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I buy a blank from a recommended vendor. I'm selling my line on my site and or to retail outlets as my own with my designs and finishes. I'll have to have either the vendor where i got the blanks from RN# on the shirts or my own.

I'd prefer to use my own as it would seem more finished and I could use it as a design piece.

Clarification please.

Thanks
I use American Apparel, have the tags removed and my own tagless label screen printed on it. I included the same info as you (Brand logo, website, size, country of origin, materials, washing instructions, and my own RN#.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Instant Classic. This the answer I was looking for. I'm going to request my RN# today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep kimura, I will have that. I'm going to copy the care instructions that come with the blank and print then on the inside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts