T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I printed out my first film with my new (refurbished actually) Epson 1400, and I was amazed at the results. I've always thought of inkjet as relatively low quality, mainly because when printing text on ordinary 8.5" x 11" typing paper, the average laser printer print blows the average inkjet print out of the water.

In this case, I was simply blown away with the quality; far beyond what I was expecting. The printed areas were jet black, and the edges were razor-sharp, and without even a hint of stair-stepping along the curves and angled lines. It seemed analog; as if the print was thin die-cut vinyl stuck onto a transparency. I had no idea that an inkjet was capable of that, especially a $179 inkjet. Now, I've never seen the output from an imagesetter, but I can't imagine how it could be any better in terms of smoothness and sharpness.

In any event, the film I am using is Victory Factory "waterproof", and in the included instructions, it says:

Most printers will give better results when set to "Heavy Matte paper" and "black ink only". Also set your "contrast" and "brightness" at the lowest setting. Glossy film or transparency settings may not be optimum because the printer may output less ink when set to print on glossy surfaces.
Does this apply to the Epson 1400? Mostly I've read to use the "Ultra Premium Photo Paper Glossy" setting with the Epson 1400. Here are the settings I used:

And here is the same screenshot except that it shows the paper options in the drop-down list:

Would any of those matte options be better than "Ultra Premium Photo Paper Glossy"?

I don't see a "black ink only" option. Is that the same as the "grayscale" option?

Also, the contrast and brightness settings are both at their default of zero. Should I put them both at -25 (which is as low as they will go) as per the Victory Factory instructions?

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will want to stick with waterproof film with the 1400, also for the setting, we have found the ultra premium glossy setting to print awesome films.
Thanks. The film I made with the settings I showed above looks perfect to me. The black looks very black and opaque. I don't know how well it will expose a screen though, because I haven't gotten to that stage yet. I'd like to experiment, but the cost of ink and films makes me hesitant to do so blindly.

Do you know if the contrast and brightness settings should be changed from the default of zero?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.