T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I just had a question about how this works. I have been thinking about adding an embriodery machine to my business but just doing my homework...Can someone just give me a picture of something they want or something I can design in Flexi Sign Pro and send that to the digitalizer? Also, is there away I can do simple text without having it digitalized? Thanks, Nick

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
most digitizers can make a design from a jpeg. I know the SWF software has a truetype font converter. I will allow you to sew all true type fonts. .... JB

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really? The font converter sounds like a nice thing to have. How do you determine your cost for digitalizing to the customer? I know a lot of people charge $6 per 1000 stitches but how do you really know how many stitches something is? Do you have to get a qoute from the digitalizer and get back to the customer? Also is there some software you buy that has some random images all ready to cut?

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
If I were you (and I was at one time) I would send my emb work out for a year or so (I did) until you understand the process and what is involved.

$6/1000 for wholesale is way too high and may even be high for retail unless you are doing a single item and even that is pretty high.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I agree with Binki on farming it out until you can support your own machine with work comming in. I have several people use me for theiir orders The local shop that gets most of the school work from the 2 districts has me do their hats. I smile and take his money. I figure who cares who gets credit as long as a make the cash. ... JB

·
Registered
721 Posts
I agree...oursource your digitizing until you're comfortable with doing it yourself. And, you can learn alot just by watching the designs sew out.

I always suggest sending the same design to 3 digitizers, and then compare the results. This will help you choose a digitizer.

Some digitizers use size and number of colors to determine price (rather than stitch count). This can make it a little bit easier to give your customer a quick bid. Still, in the beginning I would give a range, rather than a firm number -- "$50 - $65 for this design".

I send all my digitizing to EmbroideryDesigns.com. I pass the actual cost along to the customer -- that's the only thing I do not make a profit on.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I agree with Binki on farming it out until you can support your own machine with work comming in. I have several people use me for theiir orders The local shop that gets most of the school work from the 2 districts has me do their hats. I smile and take his money. I figure who cares who gets credit as long as a make the cash. ... JB
I feel the same way...there is a trophy shop right across the street from me, and he sells embroidery jobs now and them -- then he brings it to me to do the embroidery. I actually make more money on those jobs because I haven't spent any time selling the job, sourcing and ordering shirts, etc.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Most embroidery software packages come with stock fonts. You could use those fonts for some lettering but in many cases a skilled digitizer can do better work especially with small text. I haven't used the TTF converter in the SWF software but I have used the converter in Pulse software. It works with some fonts but in many cases the quality can't match a digitized font.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts