T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am trying to put together an order for a client. They want soft shirts to print on (better quality than a regular cotton tee - maybe brushed cotton?), and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for some nice feeling tees for wholesale that are not as expensive as higher end fabrics such as bamboo.

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
It really depends on what your customer's idea of "nice" is. There's dozens of suggestions between the "regular cotton" and "bamboo" spectrum.

American Apparel, Article1, Continental Clothing, Alternative Apparel, Alstyle 1701, even the Hanes Beefy tee is a nice ringspun, soft cotton blank. It all depends on what they're going for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It really depends on what your customer's idea of "nice" is. There's dozens of suggestions between the "regular cotton" and "bamboo" spectrum.

American Apparel, Article1, Continental Clothing, Alternative Apparel, Alstyle 1701, even the Hanes Beefy tee is a nice ringspun, soft cotton blank. It all depends on what they're going for.
That's true...they're looking for a soft shirt that has good weight to it. American Apparel would be too thin, but that's the feel of the fabric they're thinking of. Maybe even a little more smooth/softer.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
That's true...they're looking for a soft shirt that has good weight to it. American Apparel would be too thin, but that's the feel of the fabric they're thinking of. Maybe even a little more smooth/softer.
Ahh...now we're getting somewhere :) That helps to narrow down the field.

Heavier weight than American Apparel, but still soft...maybe softer.

I would say look at the alstyle 1701. 5.5 oz, ringspun cotton, tearaway tags. A nice all around t-shirt.

Around the same weight is the Alternative Apparel AA05 t-shirt, but it's crazy soft.

Another nice one would be the Article1 Eurofit t-shirt. Another super soft tee, similar weight as american apparel 2001, but maybe a bit heavier. Great feel.

If you get samples of those 3, I think you might find a decent match.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I shirt I really like that is heavy fabric is the Jerzees Zt (sytle number 18Z). It is 6 oz. 100% ring spun combed cotton. They are also generous in sizing, meaning a large is really large.

The price is pretty good to for a softer shirt, around $3.26 for S-XL.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am no expert yet on quality fabrics and I am also looking, but I am looking for wholesalers who have Supima, Tencel, Viscose, Modal, Cotton-Lycra, and Linen.

Does anyone know ANY good wholesalers who deal with these qualities? I am also trying to look for SILK MATERIALS that wholesale for Handkerchiefs and scarves. Dont know if anyone knows anything about this since this is a tshirt forum, but there have been so many aswesome answers I wouldnt put it past anyone here. LOL

Thx all!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I am no expert yet on quality fabrics and I am also looking, but I am looking for wholesalers who have Supima, Tencel, Viscose, Modal, Cotton-Lycra, and Linen.

Does anyone know ANY good wholesalers who deal with these qualities? I am also trying to look for SILK MATERIALS that wholesale for Handkerchiefs and scarves. Dont know if anyone knows anything about this since this is a tshirt forum, but there have been so many aswesome answers I wouldnt put it past anyone here. LOL

Thx all!
Rita,

Go to this forum: http://www.fashion-incubator.com/phpbb/

That is Kathleen Fasanella’s site. You can view the posts but you can not post until you are a contributing member. You definitely will find posts about suppliers for these types of fabrics there.

Reactions: azazza

·
Registered
7 Posts
$3.26 for 18z's sounds like a really good price, where do you get em bornover? Around nor cal I hope.
Anyways, I know the sizing between of 18z is more generous than the 1701. But by how much and how does the value/price compare.
I used to like beefy T's because of the heavier feel, softness and fit (less boxy than gildan etc) I have noticed that the sizes are different between some shirts I have. I also noticed that some tags are white and others black, maybe that has something to do with it, idk :confused:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
$3.26 for 18z's sounds like a really good price, where do you get em bornover? Around nor cal I hope.
Anyways, I know the sizing between of 18z is more generous than the 1701. But by how much and how does the value/price compare.
I used to like beefy T's because of the heavier feel, softness and fit (less boxy than gildan etc) I have noticed that the sizes are different between some shirts I have. I also noticed that some tags are white and others black, maybe that has something to do with it, idk
TSC is where I get them. They have a warehouse in So Cal and it takes usually two days to get them FedEx ground to Nor Cal.

$3.26 is kind of a high price for a basic blank T, but the person who asked about soft Tees was looking for a heavier soft T that was not necessarily a fashion T. There are some crazy soft Tees that Rodney already mentioned, but because they would fall into the fashion T category, they are lighter weight and more money.

I can’t really comment on them other than they are thick like a Beefy T but nice and soft. They are also not a boxy shirt in my opinion. They have a longer slender look.

The actual size of a medium for example, varies quite a bit between the various manufactures. Some are almost exactly the same and some are really really far apart. That is just the way things are. Many manufacturers will provide the actual fit dimensions, but some do not.

White or black tags are just the choice of the manufacturer, it has nothing to do with anything else.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I order from TSC and was trying to find a better tee than Gildan. I don't want the cheap tee look anymore. Looking foor a heavy but soft tee. I was going to try the beefy, but TSC doesn't sale them. And Broder does not give case on less than case.

I was wondering if Anvil would be a good choice as well? Wanted to test them too. Would the 18z be a good choice? I want a better choice than gildan. I was told beefy tees are good and want a shirt as soft and heavy or close to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What do you think about Anvil 5.4 oz heavy weight vs Hanes Heavy weight 5.5 oz? Is one softer than the other? I am new to all this and have been reading all the different posts and getting alot of good feed back. I am also looking at the Anvil 4.5 oz ring spun, Anvil 5.0 Organic, and Anvil 6.1 oz heavy weight in compareson to the Hanes Heavy weight 50/50 5.5 0z and there 4.5 oz ring spun. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I have switched to Anvil recently since the availability of the Jerzees shirt I liked has gone away. I like Anvil much better than Gildan or Hanes. The biggest reason is that all Anvil shirts have the popular longer body and they do not shrink up very much at all.
Anvil’s super soft tee is not heavy weight, but it is super soft and comfortable. Their 6 oz. tee is very much like the Hanes Beefy fabric wise (in my opinion), but does not shrink up and has a longer body. I like em a lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have switched to Anvil recently since the availability of the Jerzees shirt I liked has gone away. I like Anvil much better than Gildan or Hanes. The biggest reason is that all Anvil shirts have the popular longer body and they do not shrink up very much at all.
Anvil’s super soft tee is not heavy weight, but it is super soft and comfortable. Their 6 oz. tee is very much like the Hanes Beefy fabric wise (in my opinion), but does not shrink up and has a longer body. I like em a lot.

Thanks for getting back to me. What is it exactly that they mean by heavy weight? That it's thick or what? Which of the anvil shirts is soft but not to thin?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bet the Jerzees t's were good, I never had Jerzees t's but I heard they weren't that bad. Everyone is getting into American Apparel T-shirts.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Is one softer than the other? [...] I am also looking at the Anvil 4.5 oz ring spun, Anvil 5.0 Organic, and Anvil 6.1 oz heavy weight in compareson to the Hanes Heavy weight 50/50 5.5 0z and there 4.5 oz ring spun. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ringspun cotton will be softer, organic cotton will be softer, lighter weight shirts will be perceived as softer, 50/50 blends will be softer (but may encounter customer resistance).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are 50 cotton/ 50 polyester t-shirts better than 100 cotton t-shirts. Because the 50/50 t-shirts don't shrink as much as 100 cotton t-shirts do?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Are 50 cotton/ 50 polyester t-shirts better than 100 cotton t-shirts. Because the 50/50 t-shirts don't shrink as much as 100 cotton t-shirts do?
"Better" is subjective.

Some people prefer them because they feel softer and have less shrinkage.

Some people don't like polyester because it can feel slimy, and doesn't breathe as well as cotton.

There are pros and cons of both. My experience is that many t-shirt merchants like 50/50, but the majority of customers prefer 100% cotton.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ok I gotcha man. Thanks for your advice I appreciate it much. If you don't mind me asking, what are your thoughts on printing on straight polyester t-shirts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love Tultex and if you call them they are sure to give you good shirts. I would watch out for the tag though, too much heat and you won't read the size.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what are your thoughts on printing on straight polyester t-shirts?
If you're using dye sublimation great, otherwise not so great.

I don't have any experience with the polyester performance wear type stuff. The more 'regular' t-shirt stuff (Vapor Apparel and the like) is okay. Not as good as cotton, but better than I expected 100% polyester to be before seeing them.

I'd only use 100% polyester if there was a specific reason to (sports' uniforms as one example).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts