T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i recently heard about a device that i think connects to any standard dvd player. what it does is that it allows you to play a dvd movie, pause the movie on a particular frame, or scene, then allows you to export that frame or scene as a photo file into your computer. has anyone heard or seen this device in action? a friend of mine wants me to make a shirt with an action scene from the movie "the punisher" with john travolta, and i am trying to figure out how this can be done. p.s. (i am not charging him for the shirt, so i dont think there is any infringment here)

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Not that it matters, but just because you're not charging for the shirt doesn't mean that there's no infringement.

Will the movie studio come hunt you down for printing one tee for your friend...most likely no :) Is it still copyright infringement. Most likely yes :)

I haven't heard about the device you mentioned, but I've heard of video capture cards for PCs that can record and copy video images from movies.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah, that's definitely copyright infringement, regardless of what you do with it - techinically, you're not even allowed to rip a dvd that you've purchased onto your own hard-drive for your own viewing. There's all kinds of free crackware you can get, though, that'll allow you to do what you're talking about without having to dabble with external hardware. Not that I'm advocating doing that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have fellow designers that do that, but they'll alter the image as a spoof of the movie or whatever the original image was. But as far as buying devices or software, there's no need...

If your using a Mac, view the movie at normal size, not full screen. Pause the movie then hold down SHIFT+COMMAND(apple key)+#4. A little crosshair will appear drag over the movie window & release the keys. The file will automatically save to desktop, it will say picture 1 or whatever# & it'll be a PNG file. Hope this helps.

Narc72

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, thanks narc! you were right! the process was quite easy! i simply played the movie on my p.c., then i paused it at the image i wanted to print, then i rightclicked on the image, and a box opened up, saying "dvd options" in that box, you then scroll down to "capture image" option, and it captures the image, and puts it in the "MY PICTURES" folder. from there you can print it out to the epson 1280 with no prolblem! thanks a million!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Try PowerDVD software from Cyberlink if on Windows 98/XP. I don't have the latest version.

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/main_1_ENU.html

It's not free. Haven't captured/saved image in a long while.
It's a gray area as far as manipulating copyright/trademarked images.
It's for a friend, I wouldn't sweat it.

Search through these message boards...

videohelp.com

cdfreaks.com

Susan H.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well rodney, i actually used the same software that suzieh mentioned, "powerdvd" from cyberlink. the trial version is free! i still have to work on the images so that they "fit right" (they are coming out horizontal on 8.5 by 11 paper as opposed to vertical) but i am sure i will figure that out soon!

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
mrmagic2713 said:
well rodney, i actually used the same software that suzieh mentioned, "powerdvd" from cyberlink. the trial version is free! i still have to work on the images so that they "fit right" (they are coming out horizontal on 8.5 by 11 paper as opposed to vertical) but i am sure i will figure that out soon!
Thanks for the info (thanks suzieh as well)!

That might be neat for just personal use on your desktop as well :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts