T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently did a run with a puff additive in my plastisol ink. I used stretch additive as well. Both from Total Ink Solutions.. Soo. The issue I was having is that the ink would look shiny once I cured it. Only in some spots. I am curing with a flash dryer and do not have a conveyor. Please see pictures for reference of errors. I posted the worst one so the issue is a bit clearer.

I was happy with the results on some while some of the others there were issues. The print reads the word "yana". The Y and last A came out fine and puffed to my desired height, but the middle two letters have this shiny mushy look to them.

I was doing a print flash print.

I have two thoughts for why this may be happening

1) my flash dryer is only 16 by 16 so it did not cover the whole design so I flashed piece by piece. I am wondering if I maybe over-flashed the middle section of the design making the top layer of ink not adhere correctly and given off a slimy/shiny look.

2) the contrary- using too much heat. Maybe I over-cured the ink and somewhat melted it in certain sections. My flash is about 2.2 ish inches off the pallet. I wonder if I raised it a bit, would I have had better results

Again- some of the prints came out just fine and cured the way I wanted. It is worth noting that the issue did not only happen in the middle section but in random spots of the print.

I am leaning towards excessive heat being the issue because the flash dryer was running for a good bit and maybe when I released the design off the adhesive on the platen, i put the ink way too close to the flash in certain areas.

Would love to hear anybody's thoughts and see if this has happened to anyone else.
Textile Sleeve Road surface Grey Asphalt

Hood Automotive tire Rectangle Wood Textile

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have a temp gun to measure your flash element? Maybe your flash isn’t heating evenly. Also, the print looks like it has suede additive and not puff additive. Doesnt look like there is any loft in the picture. Some additives used to collapse and melt with too much heat but most of the additives I have used these days work well with the heat. You could also ask your ink manufacturer if there are any specifics with their particular additive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I recently did a run with a puff additive in my plastisol ink. I used stretch additive as well. Both from Total Ink Solutions.. Soo. The issue I was having is that the ink would look shiny once I cured it. Only in some spots. I am curing with a flash dryer and do not have a conveyor. Please see pictures for reference of errors. I posted the worst one so the issue is a bit clearer.

I was happy with the results on some while some of the others there were issues. The print reads the word "yana". The Y and last A came out fine and puffed to my desired height, but the middle two letters have this shiny mushy look to them.

I was doing a print flash print.

I have two thoughts for why this may be happening

1) my flash dryer is only 16 by 16 so it did not cover the whole design so I flashed piece by piece. I am wondering if I maybe over-flashed the middle section of the design making the top layer of ink not adhere correctly and given off a slimy/shiny look.

2) the contrary- using too much heat. Maybe I over-cured the ink and somewhat melted it in certain sections. My flash is about 2.2 ish inches off the pallet. I wonder if I raised it a bit, would I have had better results

Again- some of the prints came out just fine and cured the way I wanted. It is worth noting that the issue did not only happen in the middle section but in random spots of the print.

I am leaning towards excessive heat being the issue because the flash dryer was running for a good bit and maybe when I released the design off the adhesive on the platen, i put the ink way too close to the flash in certain areas.

Would love to hear anybody's thoughts and see if this has happened to anyone else.
View attachment 275117
View attachment 275118
your ink viscosity is to low make your ink more thick :) u can use stretch clear base...depending our ink system

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
your ink viscosity is to low make your ink more thick :) u can use stretch clear base...depending our ink system
Appreciate your answer but it isnt really relative to my issue I dont think, or is it?. My issue is that some of the ink cured slimy in some areas and in other areas it is perfectly fine. Hard to tell in the picture but the puff on the outside letters looks how i wanted it to look. Just the middle two letters look weird.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a temp gun to measure your flash element? Maybe your flash isn’t heating evenly. Also, the print looks like it has suede additive and not puff additive. Doesnt look like there is any loft in the picture. Some additives used to collapse and melt with too much heat but most of the additives I have used these days work well with the heat. You could also ask your ink manufacturer if there are any specifics with their particular additive.
It is hard to tell in the picture but the first Y and last A + the smiley face are lofting pretty well. but the middle letters didnt really puff and have a slimy/shiny look. I think you are right in that the issue is too much heat. I am going to raise my flash a bit because when i removed it from the adhesive on the platen, it was probably like 1.5 inches away from the flash. Maybe even closer. I will see if it goes better with less heat. I do use a temp gun and cure around 320 for about 20 seconds. I dont think the flash heats unevenly either, it is just about new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.