T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found some images on Google that I want to use as part of my design. How do I recieve permission to use those images? or are they all in public domain, so I can use it....

And also, I want to use some college's name on my shirts, only names, no logo or images or whatsever....I want to use names like Stanford, Yale, etc will I need permission to use the words?

Thanks a lot

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
You should work off the assumptions that the images you find in Google are NOT in the public domain.

If you find an image, find the contact information from the place you found it and ask them for permission. If you don't have permission, don't use the image.

You can't use college names on t-shirts because they are covered by trademarks and big bucks are spent on collegiate licensing. You have to pay money and get permission to use the colleges names on merchandise for sale (check out clc.com)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi

You could try a search on clip art and free fonts, but check the conditions as some are only for noncommercial use.

Try these sites for public domain images: Check there T and C's before using some can only be used for specific purposes or require a credit

gimp-savvy.com/PHOTO-ARCHIVE/

bigfoto.com/copyright.htm

mciunix.mciu.k12.pa.us/~spjvweb/cfimages.html

http://www.bigstockphoto.com
this is a cheap photo library - check the photo usage -
"You can print the photo on shirts, mugs, postcards, etc as long as the photo is 50% or less of the overall design you are printing on the shirt, mug, postcard etc. You can integrate the photo into a design and use it ... but it should not BE the design by itself"

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
WhatsYourBurn said:
I think it also depends on how much you alter the image but I could be wrong.
I don't think this holds up in court though.

Be sure you do your research before trying the alter the design a certain percentage method.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts