T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just started a new business called Psycho-Tease LLC. Clever fun sayings on t-shirts! T- shirts for the psycho-biased ;) My question is, how would you credit someone who is not working for you, but is contribuating some design's. What is the typical % given ? My partner and I would really like to be fair. I would like to make sure who ever does help us with the design's will get a fair and accurate pay for their design. If anyone knows please, please let me know. Thank you, alohasarena

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
For contributing a slogan? I'm not sure, as most companies do these entirely in house.

It's unusual in the illustration industry to pay a %. Over the course of a year or two, you could be paying out a huge amount if the design goes well. Think Hollywood....to get a % cut, you have to be one of 6 or 7 male A-list stars. Coughing up a fixed amount up=front is far more sensible.

The UK professional body of Illustrators quotes GBP300 as a base price for small-medium sized t-shirt sites. Several sites run competions for designs, with awards ranging from $100-$1000. It depends entirely on the people your contract....great designers who just want to seen their stuff avalible may give them for next to nothing. It's about finding the right people.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, what a HUDE help. I really appreciate your in-put! A friend of mine has a few designs we may use, so I would like to keep it professional and fair! In the event that we may use other people's design's(in the future). I was looking to keep the cost standard and consistant.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
alohasarena said:
Thank you, what a HUDE help. I really appreciate your in-put! A friend of mine has a few designs we may use, so I would like to keep it professional and fair! In the event that we may use other people's design's(in the future). I was looking to keep the cost standard and consistant.
If you haven't got a huge amount of capital, one of the best places is your local graphic arts department of a good local university. You'll find designers there who are incredibly talented, yet aren't yet freelancers who'd expect GBP300 a design.

Stick up an advert in the union, or contact a professor on one of the graphic design courses. I had a friend who got 5 designs for about $200 from a young artist at university, and recouped that within a few days of sales. He now uses him regularly, and knowing the designs sell, pays about $250 a design.

If your friend is understanding, they may let you use their designs on a pay-later basis....perfectly normal when contracting between friends and funds are low. You buy them dinner and a good bottle of wine, and pay $200 in a few weeks once the sales come in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts