T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...

This website has been a great resource for this newb here trying to learn more about the t-shirt business... and after lurking for months reading through tons & tons of posts, I finally feel ready to ask some questions without "smelling too green" in here. ;)

I've looked through some of the posts here that mentioned about Canadian wholesalers, and have visited some of the websites as well to get a better idea about them, it seems that most of these wholesalers require a PST number... and I was wondering if other Canadians here in this forum have actually registered a PST number for their t-shirt business. I'm based in Vancouver, and am researching about the possibility of starting a small home-based t-shirt "business"... but since it's likely to be small starting out, I wonder if it is indeed necessary to apply for a PST number? Is it a long process to do so?

Secondly, most of the wholesalers do bulk orders, however, for someone who is just starting out, I'm looking to start small, are there any Canadian suppliers (preferably local in Vancouver) that do not require a minimum order and are still cost-efficient? *hmm... am I hoping for too much here?*. If someone could please provide some insight for me, or perhaps probe me in the right direction, that would be great. Thanks! :eek:

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I have no idea about the Canadian market, but if a PST works in the same way as an ABN in Oz (which I guess it might), you should certainly get one. Usually they're very cheap to apply for compared to the taxfree shopping you can do from wholesalers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
PST number in canada is FREE. but the gov will require you to collect pst 8 percent of your sales to final end users and remit it to the government. For more info search for PST on the Ontario Gov web site. it really isnt hard

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
But presumably you do not have to pay VAT (or GST or whatever you call your sales tax) from wholesalers as a consequence.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Very easy to get a PST #. You can do it online, but I'm not sure of the address for the website. Check the Blue Pages under taxation, revenue, etc.

It takes a few days to get the #. I found that most distributers of Tees, also need a business #. This as well is not hard to get, but you gotta pay. Go to the City of Vancouver website, and it's under lisences. Mine cost about $145.00 for the year.

Once you have these two things, you can go ahead and open accounts with wholesalers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for everyone's replies... It does appear that most distributors require a PST number to deal with them directly... I believe that should be something that I should look into...

.. and does anyone have any ideas about my second question with regards to buying in small amounts? Any input would be greatly appreciated... *believe me, I'm still looking through the threads, and there's much to be learned from this forum* :rolleyes:

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you buy from Gaults Apparel, or American Apparel, there are no minimums. You get price cuts if you buy more though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts