T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PSQ = Potentially Stupid Question.

Is there any difference between say a sublimated soccer jersey and a stock solid color polyester shirt you buy in bulk?

Are thy made the same way?

I am asking wrt to using dye blocking vinyl for a jersey vs a regular colored poly shirt.

Thanks

· Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are basically the same. Either one you should use sub blocking vinyl as over a period of time the dye sub could migrate through the viny. Sub block vinyl is thicker.
Largely came about by ordering some custom logos from Stahls. They have options for Sublimated Poly and just Poly.

They also have several different kinds of vinyl that go onto sports gear which is almost always Poly and comes in many colors....

...yet Siser's sub block only comes in two colors.

I am used to dealing with cotton, so I am wondering if more than one thing is going on here.

· Registered
59 Posts
There are no stupid questions...

Polyester can be dyed in two very similar ways:

1. Sublimation-dying: Inside of the shirt is white
2. Dispers-dying: Inside of the shirt has same color then outside. Can't be sublimation dyed.

See details how it works and how you can find out whether a low temp HTV or a migration blocker is the better choice on page 7 in the attachment.

Best regards

Holger

Attachments

· Registered
2,556 Posts
On regular polyester blends, polos and fleece, you will probably be ok with standard vinyl ( but if screen printing you will probably still need a low bleed ink).
Best to use the lowest temperature you can get away with when applying. The dye used in polyester starts to turn to gas at around the same temperature that most t-shirt vinyl is applied at ( and the temperature plastisol ink needs to cure), which leads to bleed through.

If printing onto brightly died sports wear or onto softshell you are going to need blockout.

· Registered
3,129 Posts
Largely came about by ordering some custom logos from Stahls. They have options for Sublimated Poly and just Poly.

They also have several different kinds of vinyl that go onto sports gear which is almost always Poly and comes in many colors....

...yet Siser's sub block only comes in two colors.

I am used to dealing with cotton, so I am wondering if more than one thing is going on here.
Yea some companies only have white sub block and couple have a few other choices but not many.
Best bet is to use sub block vinyl. Otherwise you take the change they will be coming back at sometime. How long no telling. I have had some sport jerseys from Augustasportwear that were red turn white vinyl pink. Tho not all the shirts did it. And some of the shirts were air dryed no put in the dryer. So if I had vinyl to a dye subbed shirt I always use sub block vinyl now. Rather be safe then redoing them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.