T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please.
I was given a "banner" in .psd that they would like me to do s I need to get it to .ai to get it to cut. I read that I select them, turn selection to path and export path to AI. I did select all, opened path and saved that, but when I open it in AI, it shows nothing :(
can someone walk me through it? I don't know what I am doing wrong.
thanks - Still learning AI after too many years of Paint.net :)

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
The first thing is: Are there paths in the Photoshop file? If not, then you aren't going to get blood out of a stone so to speak.

If there are, are you using the paths toolbox to assist in this?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Ahhh grasshopper, that is the problem. You have to have paths, to export paths. There are two options:
1. Create the paths by hand - can be hard, tedious, and take a long time, but your results will be better.
2. Try to use AI to trace the image to get the paths you need - can be easy, quick, but sloppy. Especially if the resolution is low.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I would open the PSD file in illustrator. Then you have to use the pen tool. Try to think of it as "Connect the dots", but in reverse. You are making dots at critical junctions you want to plot the lines. Sound like fun? Not when you are beginning. It takes a lot of work and practice.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would open the PSD file in illustrator. Then you have to use the pen tool. Try to think of it as "Connect the dots", but in reverse. You are making dots at critical junctions you want to plot the lines. Sound like fun? Not when you are beginning. It takes a lot of work and practice.
:( Thanks -I'm gona go cry now. I understand the layers but If I were to just recreate it (it's a lot of words and just a logo - that I already have in .ai ) How do I do the paths? How and or when are paths needed??
**Sorry for all the questions**

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Well if it is text, I try and see if I can duplicate it with finding the font and retyping it. Usually tracing doesn't lend itself well for text. I would resort to doing my own paths if it was artwork based.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello Sew,

Before you kill yourself on this project you should let your customer know that this is not an appropriate file type for the product they are asking you to produce. Ask for a vector file, they might be able to get you one.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Sew,

Before you kill yourself on this project you should let your customer know that this is not an appropriate file type for the product they are asking you to produce. Ask for a vector file, they might be able to get you one.
Thanks - I will ask them (again) I keep asking for vectors but I'm not getting them. I think they are just using word most of the time.
I just got the C3 so I'm gona play a bit. So far I have been able to go through each frame and create a path for each one & so maybe I can send to ai for that. - keep fingers crossed.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You started correctly by making selection to path.
But you must rename the path and make it a clipping path.
You can have one clipping path.
The paths will be exported to the ai file, but will only be visible, if it is a clipping path. You can see it with a text editor.

The path information will be saved with the PSD file, but wil only be accessible from Adobe programs.

EDIT: It can all be done in Photoshop, but you will possibly have better precision if you do it in Illy.

·
Registered
311 Posts
A correction to what I said above:

I can see cutting path as well as normal path in Illy, both created in Photoshop. But the quality of the paths created from selection in Photoshop are really bad.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A correction to what I said above:

I can see cutting path as well as normal path in Illy, both created in Photoshop. But the quality of the paths created from selection in Photoshop are really bad.
Thanks for checking for me.
I am going to email them tomorrow and see if I can get any vector art or tell them I can create it for them for $$ :D
Thanks again

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would have to agree. You are better off using illustrator. It will be more useful for you over time for your vinyl cut stuff. Good luck and let us know if you need any help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts