T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some designa i am going to put on shirts and sell. I have been looking into the legal area of this whole aspect and found it hard to understand. The actual designs i will put on my shirts, should i get them copywrited or design-patented?

·
Registered
120 Posts
There are a lot of threads on this site going into deep detail about this. use the search option on the left.

Short answer is this; if you think you have really individual, high quality designs, get a REGISTERED copyright. Put them all in one book together and send them in. You'll have to pay about $40. That's it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Swing Easy said:
There are a lot of threads on this site going into deep detail about this. use the search option on the left.

Short answer is this; if you think you have really individual, high quality designs, get a REGISTERED copyright. Put them all in one book together and send them in. You'll have to pay about $40. That's it.
How does the book thing work?

·
Registered
120 Posts
aokusman said:
How does the book thing work?
You just print your designs on a page, or several pages, put them together very neatly, and give it a name such as "Joe's Fall '06 Design Portfolio."

I know a guy who writes songs and copyrights them this way too...he just throws all of the latest one's on a single CD or whatever, and gives it a name. It's not really an album, he's just taking care of it all at once for one low price. Maybe Coca Cola has a seperate copyright for every little thing they do, but for little people putting out a lot of designs, it's not practical. If money and time are no object, however, go for it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i read up on that. It works that if "Joes Fall 06 Collection" is the name of the book, the collection iteself and its derivitive works (the separate designs) are protected. Thanks though. I plan to do something of the sort.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Be aware that if you copyright your designs as a collection, they stay as a collection, meaning that if you ever want to transfer ownership of one design you would have to transfer all of them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
aerodynamics said:
Yes, each work is protected. It only becomes a problem when ownership is changed.
Hmmmm, OK, but for LICENSING this shouldn't be a problem, right? I mean, people who write a novel, for instance, often let "The New Yorker" or somebody print a chapter from it with no problems, don't they?

If someone wanted to buy a design from me outright, I, as an artist, could always whip up something very similar, and then agree not to sue the company or myself for infringement, true?

Your input is truly appreciated.:)

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Everyone rise. Judge Judy here. :D lol

Guys, every artist I know that is actually doing work for the trade, they are picked up and housed under some company or artist management. These companys and artist management, they have all the lawyers you will ever need..... so relax and go to your studio and do what you do. Design Stuff. Mail it to yourself via certified mail before you show it. Dont get all paranoid that everyone is out to rip you off. With this type of attitude you may never get the breaks...... paranoia self distroya. :)

In general, major companys will NOT rip you off, they have great designers working for them already who are in the know and way on top.

...go to your studio and do what you love.....art. :)

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
t-bot said:
mail it to yourself via certified mail before you show it. Dont get all paranoid that everyone is out to rip you off. With this type of attitude you may never get the breaks...... paranoia self distroya.
This is NOT a way of protecting copyright AT ALL. This has been debunked by every legitmate source of copyright information (including the us copyright office).

You CANNOT mail a package to yourself and use it as proof of original copyright ownership.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
T-BOT said:
E Mail it to yourself via certified mail before you show it. Dont get all paranoid that everyone is out to rip you off. With this type of attitude you may never get the breaks... paranoia self distroya.

In general, major companys will NOT rip you off, they have great designers working for them already who are in the know and way on top.
No no no! Mailing yourself something (aka the poor man's copyright) is WORTHLESS. It proves absolutely nothing, and will not protect you. Get a real copyright if you want to have legal protection.

Major companies may not want to rip you off, no; I'd be more worried about other small ones =) I'm still new and unknown, and I've already found people taking my designs and printing them themselves with iron-ons :p

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Twinge said:
Major companies may not want to rip you off, no; I'd be more worried about other small ones =) I'm still new and unknown, and I've already found people taking my designs and printing them themselves with iron-ons :p
and who are those people that are ripping you off ?
and what designs are they ?

....may be i can help. :)

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
hello Twinge, Im waiting. :D

btw, both rod and twinge are right. To protect your work you do need to copyright it the proper way. This of couse may vary where you are located.

Here in Canada, there is a master library run by a government agency where you can send them your art stuff, music etc. They then record it and keep it in their archives for ever. Not a legit copyright but its worth something im sure. Free too.

Also, my sons art has been locked in a time capsule at the Royal Ontario Museum. I know, its not legit copyright but it is worth something.

USA i think is way over the top with legalities, it seems that everyone is a lawyer there (im in Canada remember). In some European countries, Lawyers are not even allowed to advertise. WoW, how do they find work is beyond me.
Just sharing/opinions. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts