T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating what measures I should take to protect my site against plagarism. I recently discovered that except for 1-2 sentences on each page two entire pages of my site were copied word-for-word. I know Google Alerts can be set-up to notify you if certain text is used. What software can be used to monitor plagarism? Is there a weekly scan I should be performing? Thanks!

·
Administrator
14,481 Posts
The only way to prevent plagiarism is not to write anything in the first place.

Since that wouldn't work well for websites, you do have recourse as a copyright violation in civil court.

Which pages on your site were stolen? Nothing on there jumps out as having unique or protected status. It looks like the same basic blurb we all have on our sites.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I totally agree that when the same subject is discussed there will be a high percentage of similar content and wording but in this case excluding 1-2 sentences per page two entire pages were copied word-for-word, including H tags. One page is an article on logo design and the other is an article on embroidery digitizing. On one page the person added to my final sentence and added one additional sentence and on the other page they excluded my final sentence. I'm not concerned about duplicate content penalities because its my understanding that Google knows where content originates but I will contact the site owner to ask them to make changes and if they don't I will contact their host and if necessary, Google. I won't pursue civil court.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
I agree that they're rather low. Take it as a compliment and move on. There's very little that you can do.
Your site doesn't seem to rank highly on Google, when I search for the actual text i get their sites, not yours. You need to promote on Google a bit better. Google doesn't know where content is originated and you may not be able to prove that it's yours.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I wouldn't get alll wound up about this. At least your images/artwork isn't being stolen.. If their page is ranking higher, you probably need to edit your text and run better SEO anyways..

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I totally believe its better to move ahead and I definitely don't have the time to spend on this. I agree its better to spend time improving what I have rather than pursuing any negative activity. My original question was asking how I can protect against this in the future. I spent two hours writing another article last weekend and I would like to protect it if possible.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I totally believe its better to move ahead and I definitely don't have the time to spend on this. I agree its better to spend time improving what I have rather than pursuing any negative activity. My original question was asking how I can protect against this in the future. I spent two hours writing another article last weekend and I would like to protect it if possible.
You can't prevent it. If you put it on the internet, someone WILL steal it. If the MPAA can't prevent copying of movies with their fancy DRM, you'll have no such luck protecting some text on a webpage..

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I'm afraid Chobay is right you can't stop or really protect yourself from IP theft, you could make your articles more difficult to steal by making them a .pdf that are locked but you make it more difficult for your users at the same time, for every action you take there is a counter action or effect that is undesirable.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It seems that they in fact do link to your page:
busyprinting.com > Computerized Embroidery

This will help your google rankings since a higher ranked site links to yours but you still need to improve your ranking since the copied text gets a higher ranking than yours.

In the end there is really no easy way to prevent this. The best you could ask for is that they link to the original content on your site which they seem to be doing already.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts