T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for a while and can't seem to find any info on this. I found YouTube videos and information on plastisol to heat transfers but not water-based inks. Seems like it's a trade secret and they are rumors of some companies that have figured it out adding some additives but I have no idea who they are or if they are willing to share how. Anyone familiar with or tried this yet? Advice?

· Registered
4,694 Posts
It involves something other than printing, dusting with adhesive powder, and lightly curing? Seems like that would work with art printed over (EDIT would actually be under for a transfer ...) an opaque white underbase ... but no direct experience. Doesn't seem like "regular" WB for use on light colored garments would work at all, as there isn't enough "body" to that ink.

I'm not sure of a particular reason to pursue the idea, as addition of the adhesive layer negates most of the benefits of WB. Though, since I only print WB myself, it would be a way to get transfers without messing with Plastisol.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It involves something other than printing, dusting with adhesive powder, and lightly curing? Seems like that would work with art printed over an opaque white underbase ... but no direct experience. Doesn't seem like "regular" WB for use on light colored garments would work at all, as there isn't enough "body" to that ink.

I'm not sure of a particular reason to pursue the idea, as addition of the adhesive layer negates most of the benefits of WB. Though, since I only print WB myself, it would be a way to get transfers without messing with Plastisol.
I’m pursuing this because apparently it’s an absolute gold mine of an untapped market. Just ran across a screen printer who also has a brick and mortar store front and they are doing this exact process with plastisol and Selling an average of $300 a day by selling their own art work and heat transfers made this way. I’ve also been told by at least a couple people in the last week that they would purchase my artwork if I can get it translated from a screen press somehow to heat transfers. And as we know they are about as 100 times as many mom and pop shops working out of their homes doing just heat transfers and sublimation more than traditional screen printing. There has to be a way to do this.

this same person also started recently selling their heat transfers on Etsy and they can’t even keep up from what they told me.

· Registered
4,694 Posts
Found an article:

Neat that they have a liquid adhesive that can be screen printed rather than using adhesive powder. Nothing in what they say convinces me that I couldn't do it with my regular ink, Permaset Supercover. Perhaps I'll get around to trying it someday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.