T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am running into a situation where I have to leave my T-Jet 2 unused for over a 3 day period of time. I have watched the training videos and went through the manuals and don't see the procedure for this scenario.

I left it four days recently and noticed that the white inks in the line turned a clearish color. I immediately took the syringe and drew the ink through all of the cartridges just to kind of agitate them. When I bought my T-Jet 2 it came with cleaning cartridges and so far I haven't had to use them. I get perfect nozzle checks. I also keep the capping station clean and use a couple drops of windex on the pad as suggested in the training videos.

Ok so if I am not going to use the machine for multiple days can someone please post the procedure step by step? Do you put the cleaning cartridges in and leave them in? Or do you run the cleaning cartridges and put the ink cartridges back in? If you take the colors out do you have to flush the ink from the bulk ink system? Thanks for any help with this.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I am running into a situation where I have to leave my T-Jet 2 unused for over a 3 day period of time.

I left it four days recently and noticed that the white inks in the line turned a clearish color. I immediately took the syringe and drew the ink through all of the cartridges just to kind of agitate them.
Jim,

No need to do that until your ready to print again, the white ink separation is normal and will happen whenever your not printing, you just want to watch for settling in your white ink cartridges, that will be a problem.

When I bought my T-Jet 2 it came with cleaning cartridges and so far I haven't had to use them. I get perfect nozzle checks. I also keep the capping station clean and use a couple drops of windex on the pad as suggested in the training videos.
Cleaning carts are your very best friend....LOL! if your not going to print for a few days remove the ink carts, flush the print head with cleaning solution, then reinstall your ink carts and let it sit.(remember to clean the bottom of your print head also)

When you get ready to print again, remove the white ink carts, use your syringe to pull good ink into the cart (put that ink back in the bottle - no waste) fire it up do a couple ink purges to flush the cleaning solution out of the head, do a nozzle check and you'll be good to go.

Personal opinion.....I'd pass on the windex and use cleaning solution in the capping stating, again JMHO.

Ok so if I am not going to use the machine for multiple days can someone please post the procedure step by step? Do you put the cleaning cartridges in and leave them in? Or do you run the cleaning cartridges and put the ink cartridges back in? If you take the colors out do you have to flush the ink from the bulk ink system? Thanks for any help with this.
See above, I never flush the ink from the bulk system, just make sure your caps are closed and agitate the white ink bottles from time to time, I guess if it was going to sit for a couple weeks it would be necessary but a couple days...naw, ours has set for upto a week this way with no problems, I do slide the print head over from time to time to look and make sure the capping station is still damp then slide it back into the capping station.

As a side note: how you liking DTG and the T-Jet?

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
As a side note: how you liking DTG and the T-Jet?
Jon, Thank you for your information! It is a great help. As for our Fast T-Jet 2, I am very impressed! It is an awesome machine. We haven't had not one problem yet (knock on wood, lol). We needed to get a bigger heat press. Both of our heat presses were smaller than 16x20. So I just won an older used 16x20 press off from eBay that was local pick-up only. I only paid $125.00 for it and it was about a 2 hour drive away. The thing works 100% perfectly! Boy did I luck out! It is an older National Screen Printing Supply Equipment, but it is the right size and works great. I'll keep you posted on how things are going with it soon. I just have to run it a little bit more. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Jon, Thank you for your information! It is a great help. As for our Fast T-Jet 2, I am very impressed! It is an awesome machine. We haven't had not one problem yet (knock on wood, lol). We needed to get a bigger heat press. Both of our heat presses were smaller than 16x20. So I just won an older used 16x20 press off from eBay that was local pick-up only. I only paid $125.00 for it and it was about a 2 hour drive away. The thing works 100% perfectly! Boy did I luck out! It is an older National Screen Printing Supply Equipment, but it is the right size and works great. I'll keep you posted on how things are going with it soon. I just have to run it a little bit more. Thanks again!
Good, I'm glad it's working out.

A couple things that I might add is to watch the bottom of your print head (nozzle area) keep it clean, and watch for build up on that chrome bracket that holds the bottom of the head, I wasn't so diligent at first and let it get a little dried ink on it which isn't a issue except that it's a haven for more ink to accumulate which will eventually cause a problem with the capping station.

Watch the rails that the carriage rides on, I know you know about oiling them, but if you wipe them off with cleaning solution first the re-oil you'll be amazed at the amount of ink that you'll find, we use small makeup pads we get at the drug store with a little shot of cleaning solution to do this.

Sometime in the future your waste ink will have to be reset, I about freaked the first time this happen because I was in the middle of a print job and all the ink lights and the error/eject light started flashing I had no idea what was wrong LOL!, EZ has a small utility you can DL to reset it and it's worth grabbing the file before you need it.

Anyway good luck and if I can help just let me know.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There have been quite a few times I have had to leave my T-Jet 2 unused more than 3 days. I am starting to run into a few more things that concern me. First of all I do run the cleaning cartridges, several times! I actually did so many head cleans that the cleaning cartridges ran out the other day. I use that transparency film as others have suggested for nozzle checks. I just so happen to have yellow transparency film and when I print a nozzle check with the cleaning fluid (I can actually see the print perfectly), the nozzle checks are always horrible! So I don't know if I am supposed to be doing nozzle checks with cleaning fluid or not. My other problem that I have is that as my T-Jet 2 sits unused the white ink seems to be disappearing...., what is going on with that? I'm going to need to purchase white in very soon if this keeps up. I do keep the breather caps closed on the bulk ink system when it is not in use.

The cleaning cartridges have 2 plugs per each cartridge. Are you supposed to open any of those plugs for vent when using the cleaning cartridges or leave them both plugged? I have been opening one per cartridge. The other day I had a nozzle check where no matter what I did I could not get a couple of nozzles (or jets) cleared out. I just ran the printer like that and the shirts came out great. But I had done about 8 head cleanings and couldn't get them to clear. I have taken the syringe with the hose and hooked it up to the place where the cartridge goes and pushed some cleaning fluid through and from that I can tell it appears that fluid is coming out of all of the nozzles per color.

I have an order for a bunch of shirts now and have just set my self up with a few places wanting around 100 shirts at a time. I just hope that I do waste all the ink doing head cleanings. I have used about 1/2 bottle of cleaning fluid already and the cleaning fluid doesn't look like a reliable substance to do nozzle checks with. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
First of all I do run the cleaning cartridges, several times! I actually did so many head cleans that the cleaning cartridges ran out the other day. I use that transparency film as others have suggested for nozzle checks. I just so happen to have yellow transparency film and when I print a nozzle check with the cleaning fluid (I can actually see the print perfectly), the nozzle checks are always horrible! So I don't know if I am supposed to be doing nozzle checks with cleaning fluid or not.
Jim

Your doing the same thing I do with the exception of I do nozzle checks with ink, may not make a difference, hows the humidity in the room your T-Jet is in?

My other problem that I have is that as my T-Jet 2 sits unused the white ink seems to be disappearing...., what is going on with that? I'm going to need to purchase white in very soon if this keeps up. I do keep the breather caps closed on the bulk ink system when it is not in use.
Is it going into the waste tank? if it is your shelf the ink bottles are on is too high. I keep 4 oz of ink in all the bottles and the shelf is set at around 8 inches high, I just add ink to the bottles as needed to keep them at 4 oz.

The cleaning cartridges have 2 plugs per each cartridge. Are you supposed to open any of those plugs for vent when using the cleaning cartridges or leave them both plugged? I have been opening one per cartridge. The other day I had a nozzle check where no matter what I did I could not get a couple of nozzles (or jets) cleared out. I just ran the printer like that and the shirts came out great.
I've done both with a plug out and both in, didn't really seem to make a difference, I wouldn't let it sit with one plug out though....with one plug out it would look to me like it would flood the head with cleaning solution. JMHO

Also I have had less then perfect nozzle checks and great prints, mostly the magenta instead of the white in our case, and seems to clear up with usage.

But I had done about 8 head cleanings and couldn't get them to clear. I have taken the syringe with the hose and hooked it up to the place where the cartridge goes and pushed some cleaning fluid through and from that I can tell it appears that fluid is coming out of all of the nozzles per color.
Not really sure about that one.....sorry.

I have an order for a bunch of shirts now and have just set my self up with a few places wanting around 100 shirts at a time. I just hope that I do waste all the ink doing head cleanings. I have used about 1/2 bottle of cleaning fluid already and the cleaning fluid doesn't look like a reliable substance to do nozzle checks with. Thanks for any help.
Congrats on the shirt orders, one thing we will all tell you is that the printers like to print, you shouldn't have any problems, but it does sound like your using a lot of ink....

I'll probably get chastised for saying this but I wouldn't get real anal about perfect nozzle checks every time, I'd be more concern with the print quality, your gonna find that nozzles come and go when doing a check one day it's perfect, the next a missing line or two, the next day it's a different color missing a line but the one from the day before is perfect again.

Night before last I was starting a 20 shirt order, underbase and CMYK, printed all the fronts perfectly, shut the printer down and came back the next day to no magenta every other color was perfect, did a quick ink purge and sent the shirt back through and it printed the magenta this time and looked great.

Why? I don't know hadn't done anything different then usual, cleaned everything when it was shut down the night before....:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts