T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We use a heat press to get our designs from an regular hp or epson printer onto the t-shirts. The problems we're having when doing white and none white shirts is when we don't cut immediately around the design the texture from the transfer paper creats a feel we don't like on the shirts. Is there a type of transfer paper that does not leave the film around the design? Is it because of the quality or the printer and ink we're using? I'm thinking there's a correct kind of transfer paper used with the correct printer that will print out a white design on a black t-shirt that does not leave the undesired film quality around the letters or image. Any help with this or fingers pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Justin and Maryjean

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
I'm thinking there's a correct kind of transfer paper used with the correct printer that will print out a white design on a black t-shirt that does not leave the undesired film quality around the letters or image
I think plastisol transfers might be what you need. They don't leave a film behind after the transfer is applied to the shirt.

As far as I know, inkjet printed transfer paper always leaves a residue (that usually fades after washing) if you don't trim around the design.

I'm no heat press expert, so I could be wrong on that last point. Maybe another member will have more information on that

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all your help guys. Now I know exactly what it is I do not want. It's the plastic polymer window around image area that I don't like. The miracool is definitely one immediate solution but we're exploring plastisol as an option (thanks to you guys). I'm reading a lot about it on the net and my understanding is the is plastisol paper that can be printed in order to be heat pressed. I can find plastisol inks but my question is will they work with an epson ink jet printer? Are they laser only? Special Plastisol printer? I see there's many many different types but we want to use our ink jet printer and still not have the plastic polymer window around the designs if that's at all possible. Thanks again guys!

Justin and Maryjean

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
No, that is not possible with an inkjet printer. There is no such thing as plasticol inks for your inkjet printer. Plasticol needs to be screen printed onto a carrier paper, and then heat pressed. For the photo trans image clip paper you need a laser printer. It sounds like the miracool/iron all paper will be your best bet, if you are concerned about the window.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I started to use the Mira Cool Paper. The cut around image is not
noticeable compared to other papers. All papers laser or ink jet leave
transparent film around. Cut close to the edge possible. Try 1/16- 1/8 inches.
I use laser and ink jet mira cool for my ink jet all my clients want the mira cool
from now on. The film isn't visible like other transfer paper, The only thing that it
is a delicate paper to work with. After it is transfered to a garment the results
looks screen printed. Buy a small pack of Mira Cool to try and i did use Dura brite
inks and the results are great.

Hope This Helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! These are the exact answers I'm looking for (you just saved us days of research). Sounds like miracool is the best option given our set up with the ink jet printer. It seems like when ordered on the web there's only one site people recommend here and that's what we're going to go with. Does anyone use a vinyl cutter for their transfer sheets? We've been looking into getting one to save time. Any recommendations on getting a cutter for those purposes or not? Thanks again!

·
Registered
162 Posts
With the Mira Cool you don't need a vinal cutter. I use regular siccers and X-acto knife. With a cutter if you don't adjust the right pressure you can ruin the paper. Try printing shops, they may have a service to cut transfer paper.
You don't have to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for a cutter.Thay know how the cutter works and they also have top vinal cutters. That is what i do with my opaque paper.I go to a printer and they will cut thetransfer paper if i have at least 6 transfers. Look around your area i', certain you will find what you need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts