T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, I'm new here and not totally sure if this is the right place for me to ask for technical help, so if I should be elsewhere please let me know.

anyways, I'm a senior in high school and I currently take an independent study course in the Tech-Ed department. Recently, the department purchased a DTG HM1-Kiosk for use in a few Graphic Design classes as well as in the production of school merchandise (i.e. team Jerseys/uniforms, extracurricular activity-specific shirts, etc.). My tech teacher has put me in charge of getting the printer up and running. While I've yet to come across any hardware issues with the printer, the software has proven to be a source of constant problems.

currently, I can get images to print onto media, but doing so requires the image to be sent to the Epson R2400 virtual printer. this would work fine, except that this method doesn't allow for control of settings like media type, dpi, or any white ink support. whenever I try printing to the DTG HM1-Kiosk itself (so the RIPPRO software can be used in print-configuration) rippro starts up like it should, begins processing the image and while it's about halfway done rendering, it crashes and brings up an error "can't print to device." Then the program must be closed from the task manager. I've tried printing from several programs in several different formats, all having the same result.

any advise?

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
What version of windows are you running? I would try doing a reinstall of the rip pro software. Sometimes it will not load right, and cause it to not run properly. I had this issue with mine at first. Also what program are you printing out of?

What I would do is do a complete clean reinstall of the rip pro and the epson driver, by deleting them both and then reinstalling. Also make sure that all of your ports are assigned properly, as this can also cause it to not be able to communicate to the printer. Let me know if this works.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
If you are going to uninstall/reinstall the RIP software, pay very careful attention to the instructions regarding the registration codes. If you just delete the directories, you may lose an installation code...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the computer is using Windows XP. I have tried printing from Adobe Photoshop CS as well as Adobe Illustrator CS and both had the same result.

today, I thought to try importing the image directly into the RIP Pro software and printing it that way. from what i can tell, importing it directly seems to have produced the desired results, but it just requires one extra step. Is there a way i can make this process more streamlined?

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
whenever I try printing to the DTG HM1-Kiosk itself (so the RIPPRO software can be used in print-configuration) rippro starts up like it should, begins processing the image and while it's about halfway done rendering, it crashes and brings up an error "can't print to device." Then the program must be closed from the task manager. I've tried printing from several programs in several different formats, all having the same result.

any advise?
Although I don't do tech support on RIPPro, I do it on similar software using the same software code. Here are the things that I experience when this happens:

1. The necessary Output Queue in the Printers & Faxes folder is no longer there. Do an uninstall / reinstall and this will correct this. Look at the DTG Digital manual for how to do this. If not done correctly, you will encounter errors.

2. During the install process, a permission-based program (i.e. antivirus, finger print access,...) blocks the software from installing the appropriate folders on the C:\Drive. Uninstall the software, restart the computer, turn off the anti-virus or any other permission-based software, install the software and then restart the computer.

3. What antivirus program are your running? If the computer is networked, have to tried to do a stand alone install? I have done installs on many computers with different anti-virus programs and the only one where the software will not work is Kaspersky. I tried every setting in the software and it will not work. You just can't use that software program. In one ocassion, we were not able to install the software on a networked computer at a school because the IBM computer / network did not allow a program to install anything in the System32 folder. If you are not able to change the read/write permissions of this folder and make it stay, you will not be able to do a network install.

4) Verify the Output Queue driver is set the Epson 2400. Right click over the Output Queue and go to the Properties screen. Find the Advanced tab and make sure the driver is the Epson 2400.

Those are the main things that I see. You might just want to pick up the phone and call your DTG Digital distributor to resolve this problem as well. Hope this information helps. Best wishes,

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the computer is using Windows XP. I have tried printing from Adobe Photoshop CS as well as Adobe Illustrator CS and both had the same result.

today, I thought to try importing the image directly into the RIP Pro software and printing it that way. from what i can tell, importing it directly seems to have produced the desired results, but it just requires one extra step. Is there a way i can make this process more streamlined?
hey, thanks for the advice Mark. I'll try this out tomorrow and see what happens. the computer is on the school network, which consists of several hundred mac's and pc's alike. based on my understanding of the system, each school in the district has a network which in turn connects to a larger network. i think.;) whatever the layout may be, my guess is that any permission issues are going to come from the very intricate web of administrative hierarchy before any similar issues would arise from an anti-virus program.

on a side note maybe you could answer this question for me. Why did DTG choose to base the drivers for this printer on a set of regular Epsom inkjet drivers? using specialized software mixed with 3rd party drivers in addition to a virtual printer? what were they thinking, why not just start from scratch?

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Well, I don't want to speak on behalf of the RIP manufacturer... but each printer requires a specific language to send the information to the printer properly. The language for an Epson printer is different than an HP, Lemark or others. So all they are using the Epson printer for is a communication device to convert the postscript information to the printer language. There are some RIP/drivers that make it look like they have only their printers listed... but most of them just put a wrapper around the Printer's driver and call it their own. By adding the Epson driver into the RIP, you are just opening the door for more potential tech support issues. This is kinda like Have a TV / VCR combo versus stand alone TVs / VCRs. Just makes the tech support easier for the manufacturer to focus on their product only.

For the longest time, the only dtg printer that I was aware of that created their own driver / RIP from scratch was the Brother printer. I believe that Kornit just released their onw RIP, but I am not sure if they created it from scratch or not.

Not sure if that was the answer you were looking for or not, but that is what I see from my perspective. Good luck working through the network issues... (one of the challenges I have when working with schools). Best wishes,

Mark

P.S. Willing to bet if you install an unvalidated version (which is free) on a stand alone laptop / computer, the software will work much easier.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
on a side note maybe you could answer this question for me. Why did DTG choose to base the drivers for this printer on a set of regular Epsom inkjet drivers? using specialized software mixed with 3rd party drivers in addition to a virtual printer? what were they thinking, why not just start from scratch?
The Epson drivers are not required to run RIP Pro, they are there for two basic reasons, first to allow for head cleaning and nozzle check protocols and secondly they help the RIP Pro to identify the port that the chosen DTG printer is located on. When you install RIP Pro after the proper Epson driver is installed the RIP Pro will autoconfigure to that port to use as a DTG printer. Whenever a plug and play printer is attached to a Windows based PC it will automatically try to install the proper driver for that printer (and read the ESN of the mother board to identify it as a unique printer entitiy). Re-writing Epson firmware is not easy and not worth trying to do. Any Epson based direct to garment printer will require the same installation of drivers. The virtual driver does two basic things - it is basically a generic postscript driver with modifications, and it allows for our garment specific settings.

Hope this helps to clarify things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts