T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased an Oki C610 laser printer, as well as a pack of CL Non-Oil and CL Dark II Joto transfer paper.
I used both of these transfer papers in my printer with pleasant results. Neither melted (I read some horror stories here on t-shirt forums about ruined fuses) and when I transferred the images onto my t-shirts they came out great.

HOWEVER, today I turned on my printer and ran the CL Dark II---and to my horror the transfer paper got jammed! I shut it down, pulled open the top, and sure enough the transfer paper was wrapped tight around the fuse! Needless to say the fuse was completely ruined...Luckily I was covered with my year warranty but was warned not to use said transfer paper with my printer again.

I'm not sure what exactly went wrong---I had literally just turned on my printer, so how could it have gotten so hot as to melt my transfer? Why was I able to run the same paper through it without a single problem only a week before? Anyone out there have any ideas? I'm really disappointed in myself for getting in the same jam I read about here :(

· Registered
171 Posts
What setting did you use to print....heavy, label. transparent. Did you run in the setting that joto instruction stated. If the setting used was to hot the paper may melt. Go to joto papers and click the pdf file for printing and transfer instruction. I used joto dark and had no issues i adjust my settings of my printer before i print.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I set the media type to 'heavy'. The only thing that I can think of that I did differently was that I lowered the toner setting to 'normal' becuase everything was coming out so dark.

Do you think that could have what caused it to melt?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you still using this printer for transfers? I am considering this printer to add to my embroidery shop. I don't print enough to deal with the clogging issues of an inkjet.
I am! And I think I cleared up the problem.
I called up Joto and was told by them that I shouldn't adjust the settings on the printer itself, but rather adjust the settings on the printer drive via my computer. I set my printer drive to 'ultra heavy 2' and haven't had any of the transfers melt again. I've also made sure to double check my printer settings every time :)

· Registered
410 Posts
I've been doing Heat Transfers for over 25 years. Before there was a By-Pass Tray I had to but the paper in the 11 x17 tray. At that time, it was all Fuser Oil Machines that got really hot. To make a long story short, or as they like to say, fast forward and we have the Oil-less Machines. As you know we can't take out 8.5 x 11 paper anymore to the copy centers because they won't let us run the Heat Paper though their expensive equipment. So, I invested in an Oki Data C830N Tabloid Color Laser Printer. It can do 8.5 x11, legal 8.5 x14 and 11x17. I have used every paper out there and I it is all based on your settings from the Manufacturer. The papers that are out now are good ones. They are the same ones from years past but they have made them Trim-Free. I use Joto Papopy Trim-Free Papers. I use Digital Heat FX Classic+Univeral which is one of the best if not the best. They made a Trim-Free paper too called Transparent. The Heat Press is from Heat Press Nation 16 x20. I have a Secret that will help the folks make their Transfer Permanent. Meaning They will never fade if you do it right. The secret is this: Buy a can of "Clear Kylon Spray" After you have Heat Press your design. Stretch your T-Shirt design ever so slight to make it soft. Then, spray your design with a light mist of "Clear Kylon Spray" Put the shirt back on the press and cover with a Tfelon Sheet or with your Kraft Sheet that you bought or was supplied to you. Heat the Shirt(which is covered with the Kraft paper) for about 25 seconds. Remove T-Shirt and Stretch the shirt to make the design soft. There you go! You now have a design that you can wash without it ever fading.

· Registered
273 Posts
try 1 steps no weed laser jet papers.i use that in my oki 330dn and havent had any problems with it. but yeah gotta follow the directions to the letter lol or you'll spend 30 mins like i did picking paper out of the printer when it jams.

· Registered
84 Posts
I would put a blank piece of normal paper through first on medium setting to act as a heat sink then set it for transfer. Sometimes the ambient temp build up can cause a problem and so the normal paper heat sink seems to help. I have an OKI C5850

· Registered
15 Posts
Oh thank you. I read that hint from someone else and then I forgot about it when I tried it out. I did receive some pre-printed transfers from The Magic Touch people. I never heard back from joto after I missed their call a couple of times. We are an embroidery business so I'm sure they took us seriously. I just don't want to spend a bundle on transfers that will not work with our printer. Thank you again. I will make a note and stick it to the printer. We will only be using transfers with this printer.
Rhonda

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.