T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I had a customer call on a Wed. and he ordered 100 shirts, 25 of them he needed on Friday for a softball game(they got a one color full front and #'s on back) The other 75 were shirts for a retaining wall business. I got the softball shirts done in time, he picked them up, and now the shirts for the business are done and he won't answer the phone, won't return my calls(I've tried calling and left messages about 10 times) and hasn't paid his invoice....AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!:mad: He needed the softball shirts in such a rush that I made the mistake of not getting a deposit, now of course I'm out about $150 plus my time. From now on all new customers pay half up front! Sorry I just needed to ventilate and see what everyone else would do in a situation like this. Thanks!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Re: problems with customer

Been there done that took an order over the phone from a long time cust. ( never any prob in the past with paying). He had just opened up 2 more units of his business and needed shirts. Ordered the shirts, printed em, called him , and u know the rest. He had got in over his head with the 2 new ones. I had ( up to that point) ALWAYS got a deposit from all customers, and will not fail to do so in the future. As for what u can do, small claims court, or get a big bottle of ketchup and chew.

·
Registered
4 Posts

If this happened to me I'd have to take it as a learning curb. It could happen at any time to any one of us. I know that's not what you want to hear but asking for a deposit wouldn't always work,as some clients might go eslewhere.

Chin up :)

·
Registered
584 Posts

If this happened to me I'd have to take it as a learning curb. It could happen at any time to any one of us. I know that's not what you want to hear but asking for a deposit wouldn't always work,as some clients might go eslewhere.

Chin up :)
50% At the purchase of the order, the other 50% when you pick it up. If you want to go elsewhere than that is a o k for me, I'm not the one getting shafted by weasels like the one mentioned in the original post.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts

I'm sorry to hear of your issue.I think this or something similar has happened to many of us. I have a different approach of how ,I would handle this. At this point you just want your money for the job. I would contact the person and tell them this a matter that needs to be handled immediately to save both of time and embaressment. I would further tell him you were going to modify his product and give them away free of charge. I would explain that your plan is to place a statement on the shirts, that explains the shirts were ordered and never paid for. I would tell him the shirts would state this in big letters to show all of his breech of contract. I would then alter a few shirts and pay some young kids(skateboarder kids would work great) to wear these garments around where his company is working.

I had a customer pay by check and the money was not in the account. I tried to contact this person for 2 weeks. I left a message that if his payment wasn't in my hand within 3 days that ,I was going to pursue other actions. I further explained these actions would not be through legal channels. I waited and the money was never sent. I printed 5 shirts with a copy of the check on them and a statement from the bank saying the funds were not in the account. I paid 2 kids to wear the shirts in his place of business. They went at lunch and sat down for their meal(this was a pizza shop). They were immediately questioned about the shirts,they gave the owner a note from me. I explained that these 2 young men would be eating lunch and possibly dinner at his establishment on a regular basis. I further explain that a few more would be wearing them around town at various functions. The gentleman asked me to have the kids leave and he would bring me the cash. I told him,that I was accross the street and would gladly accept cash as payment. I told him the amount of the bill,plus bank charges,and the cost of my collection shirts. He paid me in full immediately and I gave him the collection shirts. he was not very happy with me and will never order again, but getting paid was better for than keeping him happy.

I think taking these measures are extreme, but getting paid for your work is your goal. ..... JB

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

Hi Bryce. I guess you realise now that you have been a victim of a 'sting'. You now have to ask why someone would want 75 shirts for a wall retaining business? Also nobody would have a game lined up unless they already had something to wear. Doubt if they'd been running around with no tops beforehand.

Trouble with any type of sting, is that it hurts. I don't even start an order until I have the money up front. Those are my terms of trading, if customers don't like it they can go elsewhere. In your own circumstances, you may find a fifty percent deposit will deter other hustlers in the future.

·
Registered
414 Posts

dang that sucks, chalk it up to lessons learned.
whats the name of the team, my brother in law needs some shirts for his team and friends...

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

There are always some real cool pros at getting you good. Usually repeat customers, but not always. Need them in a rush and you don't get the full if any deposit. You'll get burned better than 50% of the time... for me 90%.

Swore I wouldn't get got in '08....
Been had 8 or more times. Oh well there's always next year or 100% UP FRONT.
And NO CONSIGNMENT!!!!!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts

I'm sorry to hear of your issue.I think this or something similar has happened to many of us. I have a different approach of how ,I would handle this. At this point you just want your money for the job. I would contact the person and tell them this a matter that needs to be handled immediately to save both of time and embaressment. I would further tell him you were going to modify his product and give them away free of charge. I would explain that your plan is to place a statement on the shirts, that explains the shirts were ordered and never paid for. I would tell him the shirts would state this in big letters to show all of his breech of contract. I would then alter a few shirts and pay some young kids(skateboarder kids would work great) to wear these garments around where his company is working.

I had a customer pay by check and the money was not in the account. I tried to contact this person for 2 weeks. I left a message that if his payment wasn't in my hand within 3 days that ,I was going to pursue other actions. I further explained these actions would not be through legal channels. I waited and the money was never sent. I printed 5 shirts with a copy of the check on them and a statement from the bank saying the funds were not in the account. I paid 2 kids to wear the shirts in his place of business. They went at lunch and sat down for their meal(this was a pizza shop). They were immediately questioned about the shirts,they gave the owner a note from me. I explained that these 2 young men would be eating lunch and possibly dinner at his establishment on a regular basis. I further explain that a few more would be wearing them around town at various functions. The gentleman asked me to have the kids leave and he would bring me the cash. I told him,that I was accross the street and would gladly accept cash as payment. I told him the amount of the bill,plus bank charges,and the cost of my collection shirts. He paid me in full immediately and I gave him the collection shirts. he was not very happy with me and will never order again, but getting paid was better for than keeping him happy.

I think taking these measures are extreme, but getting paid for your work is your goal. ..... JB
That's funny, we must think alike. I was going to do that for a salon, but I didn't have to, but that was my first thought rather than court. Too funny. Glad it worked.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, thanks for everyones insight. You know it's depressing thinking about people that pull this kind of crap, I mean I'd never think of doing it. I'd like to get nasty with the guy but I don't want to give myself a bad name, and I'm not sure how much money I'd get If I get a Lawyer.....Guess that's why the looser isn't paying. Whelp, guess I'll just have an expensive box of rags, eat it and smile!

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
you can do a couple of things....1) turn over to collection agency (they'll get 50%) 2) sue in small claims court...and 3) write off as a bad debt in your tax filing

I will never take a job without upfront 50%...exception is long term customer or someone I know personally

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Your best bet at this point would be to file a claim in small claims court and sue. It only cost in most places about $30 and you can also make him pay your court cost when you win. Always make sure to get a deposit from now on. Remember the best things we learn in life are from experience.

·
Registered
592 Posts
What's with people only accepting a deposit? I always only accept 100% upfront unless it is a non profit organization who is paying by check. (These non profits usually take a long time to cut a check and some won't cut a check until they receive the merchandise in most cases) but I tell them no work begins until the check is in our hands and clears the bank. Then they hurry and get the check in the mail the next day.

Customers will burn you without hesitation.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I dont know about the US, but in Europe even if you dont get paid you are still liable to pay your VAT.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You know it's depressing thinking about people that pull this kind of crap, I mean I'd never think of doing it.

Unfortunately some people make a full time career out of cheating others. My requiring 100 percent up front payments means they go hustle elsewhere.

I'm not sure how much money I'd get If I get a Lawyer.....
Unless you have something is writing saying they are going to pay and can prove they have had the goods without paying for them, then legal action would be a complete waste of time. If they have just left without paying, or without signing a receipt accepting delivery, no court or collection agency would deal with it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I also ask for 50% up front, but what about schools or government agencies. They dont give deposits in most cases. How do you deal with them. I am now being approached by the local schools to do printing, and I dont know if I can get a deposit or not. If i dont do i turn it down?
Pat

1 - 20 of 23 Posts