T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to reflective vinyl. We are using it on safety vests. The Velcro part which comes off to be exact.
We seem to have problems with either temperature or pressure. After pressing it at 210 Celsius for 8 seconds we see bubbles forming on the vinyl.

The vinyl comes on a brown backing with a clear carrier, I am not sure what brand it is.

What sort of thing can make vinyl bubble after pressing it?

Thanks for any help:)

·
Registered
253 Posts
210 "C" might be your culprit try F.

You could also do a test strip. Put the whole strip under for say 5 seconds, then slide an amount out, then another say 2 seconds, slide a bit more out & so on.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
you learn something new everyday

3m does indeed make a vinyl that requires heat

application for the 5807 is 320f-350f for 10-20secs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I guess my answer would be too much heat? If the vinyl shows raised areas or bubbles. Could happen with any vinyl I suppose? Personally I never worked with such high heat as I never worked with 3M vinyl either.

Today we had yet another kind of reflective vinyl. The one that comes without backing and I had to up the temp to almost 400 Fahrenheit and the pressure to a point where it was difficult to clamp the press down. Needed to press it for 25 seconds. Anything less and it would not even adhere one bit. Maybe the press is not calibrated proper or too old.

I am used to 320 Fahrenheit and 12 sec. for most of my own vinyl.

Thanks for all the input. And yes, we learn something new all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts