T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I am new to screen printing nd honestly have been doing very well. I have been cruising along everything working great for the last 3 months. Now all of the sudden, I can't get my screen to expose. What I mean is, I expose it on my unit, then go to wash it out like always and it isn't washing out. Its like its all just still sticking to the back of it. If I take my finger to it, it will come/move around. Even on really big areas, it just hangs on to the edges? What would this be? I have tried increasing my exposer time and makeing less. Its not slimy at all, so it can't be under exposed? Would it be something in maybe me reclaiming? I have been reclaiming and reclaiming these screens?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Two things come to my mind.
First, are you using the same emulsion that you used three months back ?
If so, buy new.
Also, it sounds like you're not degreasing your screens. You need to do this EVERY time!

Screenprinting, like many things, requires a lot of practice and a big learning curve.
Stick with it.

ooh, also, make sure that your film positives have a really opaque black ink.
If it's transparent, you're not going to get a good exposure.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Okay, so I am new to screen printing nd honestly have been doing very well. I have been cruising along everything working great for the last 3 months. Now all of the sudden, I can't get my screen to expose. What I mean is, I expose it on my unit, then go to wash it out like always and it isn't washing out. Its like its all just still sticking to the back of it. If I take my finger to it, it will come/move around. Even on really big areas, it just hangs on to the edges? What would this be? I have tried increasing my exposer time and makeing less. Its not slimy at all, so it can't be under exposed? Would it be something in maybe me reclaiming? I have been reclaiming and reclaiming these screens?
sounds like the screen is somehow getting pre exposed. any new light source near by?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I am degreasing my screens and am using opaque films.
I'm wondering if the tiny little light from my ipod player would hurt the screens since its not light safe?

For my emulsion, I use SBQ-510, and i keep it in the fridge, so it should be fine after 3 months. Right? At least thats what one of my teachers told me when I took a few classes from Lawsons.

I feel like i'm banging my head against the wall here. I keep going over what i did diff. Does anyone know what the outcome would be if the screen wasn't dry enough before i put the emulsion on??? OR what would happen if I tried exposing it and the emulsion wasn't dried enough? I'm almost positive it was dry, but just keep giong over it!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, I am degreasing my screens and am using opaque films.
I'm wondering if the tiny little light from my ipod player would hurt the screens since its not light safe?

For my emulsion, I use SBQ-510, and i keep it in the fridge, so it should be fine after 3 months. Right? At least thats what one of my teachers told me when I took a few classes from Lawsons.

I feel like i'm banging my head against the wall here. I keep going over what i did diff. Does anyone know what the outcome would be if the screen wasn't dry enough before i put the emulsion on??? OR what would happen if I tried exposing it and the emulsion wasn't dried enough? I'm almost positive it was dry, but just keep giong over it!
if you dont clean the screen enough, you will have more pin holes and the emulsion wont stick as well. the ipod is not enough light to worry about unless you have it sitting on the screen for weeks. from what you are saying now, i am thinking your emulsion went bad. lawson is not always right and you could have a bad batch of emultion

·
Registered
144 Posts
It seems to be the way with screenprinting that just when you overcome one thing, it throws something else at you. I can only add that I would definitely order fresh emulsion, mix it correctly, take great pains to properly clean, degrease and prepare the screen and dry it before I coated it and then make sure the emulsion was dry through and through before I exposed it. I would also double check where the screens were being stored etc for light leaks. I would check my printer output settings for my acetates to make sure they're dark enough. Then I would make an exposure test screen - plus sellotape a coin to the emulsion for a control. At the end of all that you should have an idea of what's going wrong. Overcoming continual technical problems seems to be the key but can be very frustrating when you just want to get on and be creative. From personal experience I can say that in screenprinting whenever I have strayed from the science I have inevitably paid a painful price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts