T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm wondering if I'm going to have problems (copyrights) using fonts as part of my design.

Like fontfolio or any of those Cd Font collections.

I'm kind of confused, Please, any advice will be appreciated.

Regards,

Gvilla.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Most fonts are copyrighted; different licences apply. Normally the font comes with an agreement that tells you what uses are and aren't okay. Some are quite restrictive and involve large fees to use, some are completely free for any purpose - most of the best fonts do have a fee attached for commercial use, but it is usually a moderate, reasonable fee (often around USD $30).

Generally though, the thing is to check any documentation that came with the font(s), and if in doubt a google search for the font name may well come up with the terms.

If you particularly need free fonts, then Googling for the relevant terms will get you a lot of good results. You'll still need to read the terms as free to download doesn't always mean free for commercial use.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've used Adobe fonts for over 20 years and I've never run acrossed a copyright issue. Thousands of commercial products. There are many free font site out there too.

If you buy a font disk from Adobe and then start to send fonts all over the place, then there will be a problem. We would have to Flight check the files and sent them to the pre-press shop for output and it was never a problem.

As long as you are not using Times Roman and then putting the word Times Roman on your shirts or trying to sell the fonts, I can't see a problem with using your fonts.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i'm with solmu: it's a good practice to read the license agreement that came with the type. the rights really vary, especially with some of the boutique typefaces out there. you'd be surprised how many licenses prohibit embedding fonts in PDFS, for example.

one thing that almost always requires an additional license (read, more $$$) is if you use a distinctive character from the font (like a fancy letter or a dingbat) and put it on a shirt or a coaster to sell.

the one time i was unsure where my intended usage fell, i actually emailed the company and asked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HEllo U All,

I believe I found the Solution...

The site dafont.com tells you if the font you like is free for personal or commercial use or shareware, etc. I think it is what I was looking for (I think everibody).

Regards and Thank you all for your help.

REad you next time!!

Gvilla.

Vivipro.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Newby question - I'm considering adding vinyl wall words to my product line. Any font licensing issues I should think about first, or can I just use any font I own? I'm specifically wondering whether I can use the fonts that came with adobe illustrator... since I'm reselling them as part of a physical product someone is buying and not using them for private use.
Thank you!
Caron

·
Administrator
14,080 Posts
Newby question - I'm considering adding vinyl wall words to my product line. Any font licensing issues I should think about first, or can I just use any font I own? I'm specifically wondering whether I can use the fonts that came with adobe illustrator... since I'm reselling them as part of a physical product someone is buying and not using them for private use.
Thank you!
Caron
One would think (hope) that software sold mainly for business use would have fonts free to use in business, but it's best to check and make sure. The software licensing will have details on its fonts use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts