T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get this foiling thing right and want to know what settings people are using to successfully heat transfer foil onto plastisol. I'm using foil from crown roll leaf and I have had mixed results. I've tried changing all the variables but no matter what I do 100% of the foil is not transferring - its more like 90%.

I'm interested in the following info from you successful foilers:
Your favorite foil brand (crown?):
Heat Press Temp (325?):
Heat Press Time (12 sec?):
Heat Press Pressure (medium?):
Warm peel or cold peel (cold?):
Do you heat press the print to make it smoother before you the foil?:
Do you get better results with foil adhesive than with regular plastisol?:

I'm also looking for advice from people with experience using foil resist additive. I'm using the wilflex version and the 10% by weight that they specify doesn't seem to be enough (foil still sticks). When I got a mix that seemed to resist the foil well enough (30%) the consistency is like water and the print horribly failed wash testing. Thanks!

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we ordered free samples from crown roll leaf:

Crown Roll Leaf Samples Request

I filled out the web form, the guy called me, I think to make sure I was a potential customer. I asked him for all the info i requested in the above post but he gave me some useless guidelines like 300-375 degrees for 5-15 seconds. The company makes a million other kinds of foils and holograms and think this is a small part of their business. There's not much specific info on their site either. two days later we got the sample in the mail. I was expecting maybe just one square or something - turned out to be several feet of the stuff, gold, plenty to mess around with.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im sorry, but which ones are those? And what company sells them?
We've bought the stuff from richardson supply, although its not listed on their site. I think the brand is hotmark. It works really good, and it's not thick like I thought it would be. Looks way better that what I have been able to do with the regular foil. It's the same drawbacks as any vinyl though - you have to weed it so you can't do anything terribly complicated - forget halftones or distress patterns. Also I have had no success trying to line up a cut vinyl image as the second color of a screen print.

· Registered
159 Posts
we ordered free samples from crown roll leaf:

Crown Roll Leaf Samples Request

I filled out the web form, the guy called me, I think to make sure I was a potential customer. I asked him for all the info i requested in the above post but he gave me some useless guidelines like 300-375 degrees for 5-15 seconds. The company makes a million other kinds of foils and holograms and think this is a small part of their business. There's not much specific info on their site either. two days later we got the sample in the mail. I was expecting maybe just one square or something - turned out to be several feet of the stuff, gold, plenty to mess around with.
Thanks for this info. I am looking for a special kind of foil. I need one that actually raises after it is pressed. I have a friend who applied clear adhesive with his silk screen machine and then applied the foil using a heat press. He said that the foil would only adhere to the adhesive he applied, thus giving the foil a semi raised look after it dries. I heard that there is actually a foil that raises after you press it. Has anyone else heard of this?

· Registered
1,526 Posts
I have had the same problems as the thread starter. First test, I used 110 mesh screen and it was horrible. Second test, I used 83 mesh with 350 for 12 @ high pressure. Had the best results with those settings, but still not 100%. I'm going to try a 60 mesh with several coats of emulsion next time to make sure there is plenty of adhesive on the shirt.

· Registered
41 Posts
Dan,
I took this off of Lawson screen supply website. They do not list the foil, just type it in the search window its there.
The only color i have used is the multicolor( It looks like a Rainbow).The way i do it works for me. I use a 110 screen and print the image with 2 pulls on the screen then look carefully at your print to make sure there are no lint or spots where there will be no adhesive ( if there are any spots that have no adhesive the foil will not stick there) I use union ink foil adhesive, they say you can use ink but i have better results with the foil adhesive. I then flash the print and take it to the heat press at 350 lay foil on top of print with color side up and cover with kraft paper,press with heavy pressure, Let cool completly and peel slowly..

Detailed Description Screen mesh: 60 to 110 Monofilament

Heat Press Specifications: 350°F, 50-60 lbs. of pressure, 10-20 seconds

Ink: A fast fusing plastisol with lower re-melt properties is desired. (Multi-Tech MC 107 Flash base perfroms wonderfully).

1. Print the desired image on a garment and run it through your dryer in the normal manner.
  2. Put the garment on the heat transfer press image up.
  3. Cover the image with conventional heat press paper and lower the press for a few seconds. This will create a smooth surface for the foil to adhere to.
  4. Position a piece of foil (shiny side up) large enough to cover the image.
  5. Put a piece of transfer paper on top of the foil. Lower the transfer press head according to the specifications above and release.
  6. Let the transfer cool completely before peeling.
  7. Peel slowly and evenly.
  8. You can repress the image without the transfer paper if a matte finish is desired.
These settings are only suggestions. There are many different foils on the market, different plastisols and many different final applications. ALWAYS PRETREST FOR ANY APPLICATION.

Note: The transfer will last longer if it is laundered inside out and hand washed. Dry at low temperatures. Do not dry clean.

· Registered
159 Posts
Dan,
I took this off of Lawson screen supply website. They do not list the foil, just type it in the search window its there.
The only color i have used is the multicolor( It looks like a Rainbow).The way i do it works for me. I use a 110 screen and print the image with 2 pulls on the screen then look carefully at your print to make sure there are no lint or spots where there will be no adhesive ( if there are any spots that have no adhesive the foil will not stick there) I use union ink foil adhesive, they say you can use ink but i have better results with the foil adhesive. I then flash the print and take it to the heat press at 350 lay foil on top of print with color side up and cover with kraft paper,press with heavy pressure, Let cool completly and peel slowly..

Detailed Description Screen mesh: 60 to 110 Monofilament

Heat Press Specifications: 350°F, 50-60 lbs. of pressure, 10-20 seconds

Ink: A fast fusing plastisol with lower re-melt properties is desired. (Multi-Tech MC 107 Flash base perfroms wonderfully).

1. Print the desired image on a garment and run it through your dryer in the normal manner.
  2. Put the garment on the heat transfer press image up.
  3. Cover the image with conventional heat press paper and lower the press for a few seconds. This will create a smooth surface for the foil to adhere to.
  4. Position a piece of foil (shiny side up) large enough to cover the image.
  5. Put a piece of transfer paper on top of the foil. Lower the transfer press head according to the specifications above and release.
  6. Let the transfer cool completely before peeling.
  7. Peel slowly and evenly.
  8. You can repress the image without the transfer paper if a matte finish is desired.
These settings are only suggestions. There are many different foils on the market, different plastisols and many different final applications. ALWAYS PRETREST FOR ANY APPLICATION.

Note: The transfer will last longer if it is laundered inside out and hand washed. Dry at low temperatures. Do not dry clean.
THANKS FOR THIS INFO JOHN. I am new at screen printing and I am going to be doing foil shirts for the elections. What I want to achieve is a thick raised look on the foil after it in pressed. I have been told that I can use a different mesh screen to allow for more ink or foil adhesive to go onto the shirt, flash dry the shirt and then press at about 350 on my heat press. I just wonder if the pressure from the press will flatted the foil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.