T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.. Im new to screen printing.. just trying to learn by doing it just now.

Printed a few tshirts yesterday using plastisol inks.. put them under a spot dryer for a few mins took them home and washed them to see how they stand up.. some of the ink has came off leaving me with a distressed looking tshirt. Not what I was after.

Im trying to learn using plastisol inks.. want to get round to the waterbased inks so I get a soft to touch result. Problem is.. how do I stop the ink coming off in the wash?

Thanks

S

·
Registered
861 Posts
Sounds like you undercured. Plastisol ink needs to reach 320 degrees to be cured. Buy a temp gun to help you measure when the ink reaches the requires temp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers. All the ink didnt come off.. the tshirt is lying flat.. and I dont want to over cure.

Im just starting out.. glad these were on my first few samples and not a big job.

Looking for a temp gun as we speak. Whats the temp range for water based inks.. have to get an extrctor fan in my studio as the fumes from the plastisol are a bit too much to take.

Cheers

·
Registered
612 Posts
Also, any Lowes/Homedepot/Harbor Freight, etc has them for around ~$30.

Curing temperature for waterbased is similar, but you also have to get all the water out...so it is basically the ink has to reach 300+ after you evaporate all the water.

If you are just looking for a soft touch, I would try adding some ink additives to the plastisol, specifically some curable reducer and some soft hand feel additive. You can get the final product to look and feel very similar to water based, without all the head-aches of water based ink. You can get both of these, along with instructions at Silk Screening Supplies, as well as just about every plastisol supplier.

Good luck!
Nick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for your help.. Im over in the UK so will have a look on the web for the gun. Do I add that stuff in with the ink?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yes, just stir it in. You can add just a little to loosen the ink a bit, or go about 60% ink, 20% reducer, 20% soft hand and it will make it a lot like water based. Those % are higher than the instructions recommend, but I've never had a problem, and it gives a really soft result with flat colors. They will not be as opaque though, so it all depends on what you want to achieve. Not sure where you buy your inks across the pond, but I'm sure they will carry these products.

Good luck!
Nick

·
Registered
828 Posts
there are no fumes from plastisol ink... that's probably fumes from the shirt material burning/heating up. 50/50 shirts will smoke up big time if you are running you flash too close to your shirt.

Just make sure the ink gets to 320F and you're good!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers again guys.. will order that today. Just starting out.. only way to learn is by doing it. You guys are a great help.. great wee forum this. Good advice!!

Theres defo fumes.. might be the ink burning.. the tees are 100% cotton. Going to get an extractor fan in there anyways.. Cheers again Scott.

S*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts