T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've attached a jpeg of the file the customer sent me of the image. It looks good but he wants me to show a couple different versions of the dragon with different colors.

Here's the problem. These are all just lines, nothing is connected or a closed loop so all I can do is change the lines, no fills. What's the best quickest way to make the fill editable using Corel Draw?

Thanks for your help

· Registered
708 Posts
If I was using GIMP/Photoshop, I'd change the white to transparent, make two layers below it, one for color one for shading, draw white lines to "close" open areas (make the flood tool react to all layers), and flood fill/brush the color in. Then either flood fill or shift the tints to change the color. Otherwise you'd have to trace or re-draw it to vectorize it, then do the same thing in your vector program, but in this case I wouldn't waste a lot of time until the customer actually agrees on the design. If you have a higher resolution copy, trace would probably work fine.

· Registered
161 Posts
I dont know about Corel, but in Illustrator, it would be fastest to just draw inside/in between the "outer fill lines" and place that object behind the whole thing. I assume Corel can do it too. Should take about 3-5 minutes total.

· Registered
1,534 Posts
I've attached a jpeg of the file the customer sent me of the image. It looks good but he wants me to show a couple different versions of the dragon with different colors.

Here's the problem. These are all just lines, nothing is connected or a closed loop so all I can do is change the lines, no fills. What's the best quickest way to make the fill editable using Corel Draw?

Thanks for your help
You could try putting a colored box behind the art, then doing a trim operation to see if you can cut up all the white areas into pieces of the colored box. Then you could color the parts. It's trick in CorelDraw because the path operations have a mind of their own.

You could also try the paint bucket tool (smart fill?) to drop color inside all the white areas. That may or may not work depending on how the art is constructed.

· Registered
3,503 Posts
yeah, can't see how the art is constructed so .....

in illustrator you can 'join' open ended paths to each other by using the direct selection tool, holding down the shift key and clicking on both ends and selecting join object>path>join. that's how to close basic shapes.

BUT

in your case the easiest thing would be just to draw the outline (with no stroke) of the dragon and placing it behind the existing line work. like people have suggested above.

are you working with a jpeg? what is the native file type? was it done in illy or photoshop or corel? why can't you ask the customer for the original art file?

· Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was given to me as an AI file.
The image has no fill. It's just line art.
I ended magnifying it and just working my way around closing all the loose ends with extra nodes and using "smart fill" tool like Tygeron mentioned. That did the trick.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

· Registered
1,967 Posts
I did this in gimp with no trouble filling with green. there didn't seem to be many broken lines.
After a 2nd look, the fill would have to be tweaked due to imperfections close to the lines. You can't really tell at shown size but when enlarged it's definitely visible.

Attachments

· Registered
2,227 Posts
If it is a vector and you can't select the white areas you need to break it appart. You should then be able to select and color the white areas. Note: when you break it appart they may need the layering of the shapes reordered, start with the black and send it to the back.
CW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.