T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running problems pressing hot pink thermoflex plus on 2x1 american apparel tank tops(boy beaters). First problem is the vinyl doesn't want to stick when you peel off the clear layer. You have to peel extra slow.

2nd problem is you can see a shadow of white glue residue in some spots.

3rd problem is since the tank stretches when you put it on, the text looks distorted and the glue residue is magnigfied.

We thought it was the vinyl so we got a new roll of pink, but it did the same. We tried some red thermoflex and its is fine.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I did the same exact thing. There is something different for sure with the pink. It also says not to layer it.
I got some white vinyl from Imprintables and the white seemed alot easier to work with so I want to get the pink from them and see how it works.

·
Registered
285 Posts
1st problem: Let it cool before you peel it off.
2nd problem: Maybe too much pressure?
3rd problem: I have no clue on how to solve this other than to tell you not to stretch the shirt while you're pressing it.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Running problems pressing hot pink thermoflex plus on 2x1 american apparel tank tops(boy beaters). First problem is the vinyl doesn't want to stick when you peel off the clear layer. You have to peel extra slow.

2nd problem is you can see a shadow of white glue residue in some spots.

3rd problem is since the tank stretches when you put it on, the text looks distorted and the glue residue is magnigfied.

We thought it was the vinyl so we got a new roll of pink, but it did the same. We tried some red thermoflex and its is fine.

Any ideas?
Thermo Flex is more or less a cold peel. If the carrier is pulling the film off, then you need to wait longer to peel. Repress and wait until it is cooled off more, and peel the carrier away.

I am not sure of the difference on the Pink color as opposed to the other colors, but hopefully this will help you.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I have never ever cold peeled thermoflex plus. I know the product isnt going to stretch much if at all. Probably the wrong vinyl for a super stretchy ribbed tank.

I am hoping this fashion film is going to be stretchy and good for a ribbed tank application.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I did the same exact thing. There is something different for sure with the pink. It also says not to layer it.
I got some white vinyl from Imprintables and the white seemed alot easier to work with so I want to get the pink from them and see how it works.
I have been using imprintables, medium pink and light pink on Bella ribbed tank tops with great results. It is a hot peel film. As for the 3rd problem toomeycustoms stated about designs distorting when it's stretched, I have not experienced a problem with small to medium text. Larger graphics are a different story. They will not stretch with the garment and will distort badly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cold peel is actually worse as all of the small details don't want to stick to the shirt when cold. I usually always hot peel the thermoflex on regular shirts. We ended up using white thermoflex instead of the pink. The white still distorted a little when stretched, so we stretched them around a foam pad when pressing. Thanks for all the suggestions.

If anyone has a proven suggestion of what brand to use for tank tops or stretchy items, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Cold peel is actually worse as all of the small details don't want to stick to the shirt when cold. I usually always hot peel the thermoflex on regular shirts. We ended up using white thermoflex instead of the pink. The white still distorted a little when stretched, so we stretched them around a foam pad when pressing. Thanks for all the suggestions.

If anyone has a proven suggestion of what brand to use for tank tops or stretchy items, please let me know.

What type of foam pad? ...and where did you purchase it?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts

Sounds like there is some type of quality issue with the Pink color, or maybe even a difference between Pink and the other colors like you said.

As for your question above, what are these fabrics made of?

·
Registered
766 Posts
When I read these posts I always wonder what kind of conversation the OP has had with the vendor that sold the product. Have you spoken to the supplier? What was their recommendation? When you bought the vinyl in the first place did you tell them what you would be printing on and ask for recommendations?

I'm not trying to be harsh. I just think more information about your contact with the vendor would help. And if you haven't spoken with the vendor or received their recommendations about your application I'd highly recommend it.

I, for one, would not make an assumption about these products (vinyl and shirt) if I had not used them together before.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have had the same problem with some of the thermoflex colors. Particularly the Neon Pink and Neon Green. Also the Columbia blue. When you try to hot peel them they separate...those have to be cold peeled...

Now that being said, I use white, red, black, and yellow gold all the time and they hot peel off like butter...perfect.

If you look at the Thermoflex colors, some of them are white on one side and have the color on the other...as opposed to most of them that are a solid color, front and back. Those tend to be the ones that give me trouble...but not all of them...like the yellow gold has a white side and that one hot peels perfect for me.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I have had the same problem with some of the thermoflex colors. Particularly the Neon Pink and Neon Green. Also the Columbia blue. When you try to hot peel them they separate...those have to be cold peeled...

Now that being said, I use white, red, black, and yellow gold all the time and they hot peel off like butter...perfect.

If you look at the Thermoflex colors, some of them are white on one side and have the color on the other...as opposed to most of them that are a solid color, front and back. Those tend to be the ones that give me trouble...but not all of them...like the yellow gold has a white side and that one hot peels perfect for me.
If you look at the Thermoflex application sheet there are about a dozen colors with an asterisk by them that state "will not layer". The colors you mention as cold peel products all fit into this category - maybe there's a correlation there and these products are slightly different???

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
If you look at the Thermoflex application sheet there are about a dozen colors with an asterisk by them that state "will not layer". The colors you mention as cold peel products all fit into this category - maybe there's a correlation there and these products are slightly different???
They are different, the neons especially. I think a completely different formulation altogether.

Josh, didnt we do a thread on this a year or two ago about what could and could not be layered with the thermoflex neons?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good find Josh! I never even noticed that! I have actually layered some of these in the past...oop's...

I'm gonna actually start ordering from you guys this week and try your fashion film...I'm curious as to how they compare, especialy if they are less $...is there any problem with them for layering...and can the fashion film be layed with the fashion film metallic???

just downloaded your customer form..gotta fill it out and fax my tax info over to you.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Good find Josh! I never even noticed that! I have actually layered some of these in the past...oop's...

I'm gonna actually start ordering from you guys this week and try your fashion film...I'm curious as to how they compare, especialy if they are less $...is there any problem with them for layering...and can the fashion film be layed with the fashion film metallic???

just downloaded your customer form..gotta fill it out and fax my tax info over to you.

No problems with layering Fashion Film in the standard colors. However the electrics and metallics should only be used as a top layer. Layering another film on top of the foil like metallic can pose some issues with durability.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
They are different, the neons especially. I think a completely different formulation altogether.

Josh, didnt we do a thread on this a year or two ago about what could and could not be layered with the thermoflex neons?
I know we spoke about neons a lot because I believe you use them a lot. I can't remember if it was specifically about layering them....but I know they can be problematic and sometimes more expensive than standard colors.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I too have had problems with Thermoflex Pink. I have 2 rolls of Hot Pink and neither will stick. I assumed it was a shelf life problem, even though it was less than a year old. I have not had a problem with any other Thermoflex color, and I have successfully used Thermoflex vinyl that I have had for 2+ years. I have had problems with Imprintables Warehouse vinyl that is 2+ years old - it just does not stick any more - have experienced this with several colors.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I did some Bella tanks the other day, which the material does stretch quite a bit. I have done these in the past using Thermoflex and Ecofilm with not very good luck. The vinyl does not stretch well with that type of material.

The ones I recently did were done with Stahls Superfilm and they turned out great. The vinyl stretches very well with the material.

Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts