T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new to photo emulsion and had my first try at it last night. I exposed a 10X14 inch screen with a clear 150W bulb with a reflector 12 inches from the screen for 45 minutes. My positive image was on a transparency. There was good positive contact on the entire image. The problem i encountered was when i was washing out the screen. The unexposed emulsion was coming out on the image at first(just like I had hoped), but the part in the middle, which was directly under the light bulb, seemed to be burned onto the screen. I suspect what happened was the heat from the light bulb exposed the emulsion under the positive. I tried to wash it out for about 45 minutes before I gave up on it.
So, my questions are...
Did the heat of the bulb actually expose the emulsion?
If so, what can I do to prevent this from happening again?
Any tips for the new guy?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Sounds like you baked the emulsion on. Yes, it could definitely be burned.
back off your light.
Also, for a better exposure.......get a cheap 500 watt or even 250watt halogen work light.
Keep it 18-20 inches, I think, away from your exposure and you should get a lot better results and faster......check postings on this board.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I agree with Denise...get a 500 watt halogen...put the light about 18 inches above the screen and point a fan at the screen while you burn..this will keep the glass and film a little cooler while burning.

Inked

1 - 4 of 4 Posts