T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble getting an even coat of ink down while printing my larger designs. My design takes up about 90% of the width of the screen and my squeegee is able to cover the entire design. I am having trouble with pushing the ink all the way into my shirts on the edges of the design. This is actually leaving me with more ink on the edges since its not pushing all the way into the shirt

Possible problems:

1. Screen isn't wide enough
2. Off contact is set up incorrectly.
3. Squeegee is too soft (using 60 durometer)

Let me know if there are any other details you may need to know in order to help me with my problem. Thanks!

·
Administrator
14,015 Posts
My vote is for a bigger screen. The screen tension doesn't allow you to get that close to the edges. Allow yourself 2 inches of gutter space between the frame and the outer edges of your design.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I agree with Joe. You need to get a bigger screen. As the mesh gets closer to the frame the tension is higher and hold the outer edges of the squeegee up. To get a clean print go to a bigger screen and make sure that the off contact is correct as well.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Are your problems occuring near seams at all or just the basic outer edges? The sweet spot of a screen is actually much smaller than you'd think, and your screen has less tension as it gets towards the outer edges but when your pushing the squeegee down and have too much off contact, the outer edges will get harder to get ink through because of physics. I guess using a harder squeegee could combat this problem but you're not really addressing the issue and your just using brute force to get the ink through. Things you can do to get more out of your screens is increase the tension, lower the off contact, print with as little pressure as it takes to clear the screen and that will reduce the amount of pressure needed at the outer edges of the screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts