T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
From Mike in our Support Department:

Check your file, it sounds like you do not have a transparent background. This will cause a "block" of white to print with the image. It's best to have a .psd (photoshop format) without any extra layers - do not flatten the image, just merge all layers down. In Photoshop you will see the "gray checkerboard" background around your image. That tells you it is indeed transparent.

Harry
Equipment Zone

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
its transparent and all that, still printing white..... any other ideas?

even if you thinks its transparent there still maybe something there..

If you have Corel Paint > import your image into CP if you see flashing lines around your image then that is the transparency line that RIP will recognize

If you have Adobe Photoshop > import your image into Adobe Photoshop Elements and you will see the same flashing lines.

·
Registered
679 Posts
even if you thinks its transparent there still maybe something there..

If you have Corel Paint > import your image into CP if you see flashing lines around your image then that is the transparency line that RIP will recognize

If you have Adobe Photoshop > import your image into Adobe Photoshop Elements and you will see the same flashing lines.
True, I've also seen this happen with drop shadows in images.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
How old is your printhead? It's possible that it went bad.

Do you get white ink spraying the same way when you do a nozzle check?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the quality of the print is great but its always firing white while its printing im not sure if its one of the settings....im using photoshop not corel paint......not sure how to do a nozzle check though could that help?.... & the printhead is new just bought it from equipment zone a month ago but i called them this morining to ask if it may be a defective printhead and they said they would have a tech call me im still waiting for that phone call to be returned its 10:15pm........so......any ideas out there????

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Your manual should tell you how to do a nozzle check. If the white ink is happening when you are doing the nozzle check, then something happened and your printhead is bad.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also have the same problem and the print head is brand new. I use photoshop and background is transparent. I also dont have clipping path when I do a underbase wizard in fastartist?

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but a simple nozzle check will determine if it is in your printhead or not. If there is white printing abnormally with a nozzle check, that tells you that the RIP has been bypassed and it is printing through the normal Epson utility. This is a 100% guarantee it is in the head or the cables associated with the head (but most likely the head). You could pull the head out and reseat all the cables. If it continues, then your head is bad. Electronics can be fickle at times, so for this to happen to a brand new print head is quite possible.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
If you have a faded edge or soft edge this can cause a problem with the rip. In multi rip I
I turned off auto white highlight and this got rid of the problem. I had a flame background and kept getting a white edge even with soft under base. Anyway the rip settings were the problem I don't know in fast artist / rip.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
If you have a faded edge or soft edge this can cause a problem with the rip. In multi rip I
I turned off auto white highlight and this got rid of the problem. I had a flame background and kept getting a white edge even with soft under base. Anyway the rip settings were the problem I don't know in fast artist / rip.
Good point. ;)

Can you post an image of what is happening?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a solid white box as if it was not transparent. I tried the nozzle check and it looks great, lines were solid..I am leaning towards the software, not sure what I am doing wrong

thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
Anytime you use direct to garment printing on darks with an underbase, you run the risk of getting white around the edges if the image isn't properly prepared. We see it all the time with our print on demand shirt fulfillment services. Clients submit art improperly prepared (we warn them!), and one of two things happen frequently:

1) They use gradients that fade to transparencies
2) The images have anti-aliasing

Zoom in on edge pixels and be sure you are viewing a transparency grid.

If the image is in good shape, perhaps your rip software has a choke setting. It will reel in the underbase. Be careful not to bring it in too much because you could degrade the color layer.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
1) They use gradients that fade to transparencies
2) The images have anti-aliasing
You can actually still print the image just fine with these properties applied to them. There is a trick to printing images with soft edges such as gradients fading to transparencies when using FastArtist 1.5.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts