T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to print white ink only

Hi All:

I am new to the DTG world. I have a Kiosk and I need to print just white (names and numbers on 100% cotton medium, dark and black shirts. I am aware of the alternative methods of doing this (screen printing and heat transfer) and after pricing them they are too expensive--screen and film charges plus flash kills the relatively low cost of the actual screen print. I use an excellent contract screen printer but they charge $4.00 per one color name and $1.25 per digit and because of the way this will have to be done they will charge me a film and screen charge and flash for each digit (1-15) and each name (60 Sponsor names x 12-15 shirts per team) and well you get the idea. The per piece price from Stahl's for Player perfect thermo-film is $3.45.

I pretty sure I can print white names and letters on these shirts with the DTG for between $1.75 and $2.50 for 2" letters and 8" Numbers.

Problem is I tried to figure out the settings in RIP last night and couldn't get it--can anybody let me know what the settings should be in RIP Pro just to print white on medium dark and black shirts. Thanks.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'm not sure about the Kiosk but here is what I do for my T-jet. Create the letters in photoshop, use white text on a tranparent background. Then I use that file when creating the underbase and printing.

It should be the same as printing a Red on a black shirt that has a white underbase but make your artwork white and then it won't put any color over it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you:

I am actually looking for the settings that I would use in RIP PRO that would accomplish what you describe. I tried several different ones and they didn't quite work they way I wanted. I think what I need to do is like you said just treat it as if there were a color layer with a white underbase but the color layer will be white. Anyone else who uses RIP PRO please let me know if this is the way to go. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Hi,

Ok you can try these settings as they should work for you :) First on your white graphic, change the white to 2% of some other color, like 2% cyan or yellow, this is because the printer doesnt recognize white asw a color, so adding 2% makes it a color but you cant see it.

On your print setup go to your advanced tab.

Once there select Vivid darker in color appearance.
Select white ink layer on layer type, or you can do color layer automask if you want to do 2 layers of white.
make sure your media is set to dark or black
I use medium density in my white layer type.

This should do it :) Let me know if this doesnt work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Sunny:

I will try that and get back to you to let you know if it works. I really appreciate the help as this is a huge order for me and I will do it again in the Sping and next Fall if all goes well this time.

Steve:)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Do your art work otro text in a colour with transperent back gorund say black because it is easy to see on the transperant back gorund. Send to machine as normal and select colour shirt enviroment. Then goto device options and in your layer counts select the print base and make the layer count for colour this 0 and the white 1. This will inturn only print the hite layer. You can do this to any colour print by just truning of the colour layer. Maybe save this envoiroment as say White only enviromwent and it then there when ever you want it. As above print the white layer at underbase 255 and use multi shot uni to give you a nice thick white print.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Grant are you using Rippro? Those setting sound completely different then what is available in rip pro. The settings I listed above are the typical configuration in the rip pro program.

·
Registered
533 Posts
On a Tjet, if you have Corel you can create a spot color in your palette called White (case sensertive) and use this color on your text or any data and it will print with just the white ink.
Even though it is White, give it some CMYK color value otherwise Corel will ignore the object.

FastRIP looks for the name, so you can still give it a CMYK value.

Best regards

-David

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Sunnydayz where is the white layer density setting?

Here is a screen shot of my RipPro
wow thats wierd on yours, it has white ink density stated as dpi. Yours is set good at 1440. Usually it says white ink density and then has the choices as same as color, light, medium and heavy. But 1440 is the same as medium. What version of rip pro is this?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Bobbielee,

You are using the HM-1 driver for yours and Brian is using the Kiosk driver. The Kiosk driver is in resolutions while the HM-1 using light, medium ... the machines print completely different droplet sizes so the resolution comparison wouldn't help. The 1440 setting with the Kiosk driver is what you would want when printing on darks.

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Thanks Don, That explains it then :) I didnt know there were two different versions, one for each machine.

I thought rip pro was the same no matter what machine it was on. Thanks again for explaining.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts