T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Is there a way to knockout a color in fast-rip?

i have an illustrator drawing, white on black garment. I did however put some black elements that i wanted to use as a reverse. So instead of wasting black ink printing them, i would rather the printer just not do it. Print only the underbase and done.

Now i know i can use pathfinder in illustrator to break through the drawing and technically send the whole job to fastArtist/rip just as white and transparent. However, due to the complexity of the trace and amount of layers/groups in a particular part of the design, it's not looking exactly the way i wanted it

So any thoughts? suggestions?

thank you in advance

· Registered
1,397 Posts
Best way to do it is to export your graphic from illustrator and save as a png at 300 dpi with a transparent background. Next import into FastArtist and underbase it using the underbase wizard. After you have done that, select your graphic and go to the top menu Layout>Ungroup. This will ungroup the color layer from the underbase layer. Select the top layer of the graphic and delete. You will be left with a white box that is your underbase. Send that to print with a 1440 underbase print mode and there you have it. One pass underbase print.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great... thank you!

I have the job on hold for now while i finish another run, so i can't wait to try it. Makes perfect sense. What i tried yesterday when i was experimenting was to click on the image until the menu above changed. Then selected "black" + "add color" and use the eye tool to drop all the black from the image.

It did however leave a few small lines of grayish tones where the black pixels didn't get dropped due to being gray. I ran one and then just manually cancelled the second "color" pass. The end result was just the underbase, but i figured i would wait for suggestions since i didn't want to cancel the job after each print and resend it again. Too much down time

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.