T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a custom design that has basic stripes that go horizontally across the chest until they hit the seam of the sleeves. The design continues on the back of the shirt, starting and the seams again.

Does anyone do this without printing before the material is assembled. I find all the websites that do custom artwork restricting me to a centered portion of the shirt, without going all the way to the sleeves.

Is this just the way it is?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
bwilderd said:
I have a custom design that has basic stripes that go horizontally across the chest until they hit the seam of the sleeves. The design continues on the back of the shirt, starting and the seams again.

Does anyone do this without printing before the material is assembled. I find all the websites that do custom artwork restricting me to a centered portion of the shirt, without going all the way to the sleeves.

Is this just the way it is?

Thanks for any help.
from what i understand of your question.....

it's cool to print over seams, we do it sometimes. Sure it may not be for everyone/market etc... but we do it. It looks a little beat up but that is the look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T-BOT said:
from what i understand of your question.....

it's cool to print over seams, we do it sometimes. Sure it may not be for everyone/market etc... but we do it. It looks a little beat up but that is the look.
Thanks.

That's not exactly what I'm wondering, although I would inference from your reply that it is possible...I just want to know of a company, or companies, that can print all the way to the sleeve seem, not just a 12 inch wide box on the front of the shirt.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
oh, i see. :) :confused:

i think with Plastisol transfers and a heat press you can print/placement right up to the sleeve seam. Depending on the size of the shirt and print, you can even go across the chest from sleeve to sleeve sea.

..I hope i'm on track. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ffokazak said:
I think any screen printer should be able to.
You might have to pay extra setup for different sizes.
Eg, a Small girlie, would be different dimensions from a XL mens tee.
Keep it in mind!
Right, that's what I was thinking...that different sizes would have to be different. But the few I tried, one I actually went to in person, say no-way.

This does at least give me the confidence to keep trying though.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
204 Posts
In the book "How to Print T-shirts for Fun & Profit" there is a small section on printing band designs. It looks simple enough to do for one shirt with one color, but too labor intensive to do with alot of shirts or with more than one color.

Me, as a screen printer, would charge an arm & a leg for this because there is a BIG chance for many mess ups.

If you want to check it out, you might try to find a copy of this book at the library, make copies of how it is done, then take it to a local screen printer and see if they can do it.

But, in my opinion, it would cost less to do as a plastisol transfer. Have them make the largest one big enough for your largest shirt and trim off the edges for the other smaller shirts, or order a few different lengths.

It might also be easier, from a screen printer's point of view, if you move the stripes down a bit to go totally around the garment, instead of ending directly in the armpit seam.

When you screen print you have to push/pull a squeegee over the shirt to spread the ink evenly. If you push/pull over a seam it messes up the rest of the design because you don't have even pressure anymore. Bumps, seams, zippers, buttons, etc. are all in the way and a screen printer will either refuse to do it or charge you much more to have to work around such obstacles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts