T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings.

Our half-tone laserjet printer is broken. We would like to screen print this logo for a customer, but I'm having problems figuring out how to print the gradient in a different way - preferably edit in adobe illustrator or photoshop so we can use inkjet.

here is an example of the art i received in ai format

and here is what i'd like to convert the art to.

any suggestions please?

Just green and black, 2 colors. no shades of gray. How can I manipulate Adobe photoshop/illustrator to churn out something like the image below? Thanks.

Edit: My mistake. Can a moderator move this to Graphics section of forums? All apologies.

· Registered
1,529 Posts
Tamashii, you can select the greyscale part you want to halftone and convert to bitmap in photoshop. when you do this you have the option of doing so in halftone screen and here you will set your perimeters...I did this real quick as an example not knowing what size your finished product will be. I'm sure others will have some input as well. Also I did not clean out the text areas or the image as you may want to do.

Attachments

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey larry!

thanks for your reply. I spent the latter half of the day googling this problem and experimenting through trial and error until I've found an adequate solution as well using only Adobe Illustrator.

Adobe Illustrator:

Effects -> Document Raster Effects Settings -> 190 PPI (was the best)

Effects -> Pixelate -> Color Halftone -> Max Radius: 4 Color 1-4: 45

magnificent.

· Registered
2,940 Posts
I'd have copied the green, knocked it out of the grayscale part, then pasted the green onto another layer, or created a new file with it to print as a separation. Paste the green lettering into the same layer or file. Color it all 100% black. Then back at the grayscale file, do the color halftone thing to the grayscale part, make the final halftone black, and make sure the black text is 100% black and not an RGB or CYMK "black".

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd have copied the green, knocked it out of the grayscale part, then pasted the green onto another layer, or created a new file with it to print as a separation. Paste the green lettering into the same layer or file. Color it all 100% black. Then back at the grayscale file, do the color halftone thing to the grayscale part, make the final halftone black, and make sure the black text is 100% black and not an RGB or CYMK "black".
yus pitman, that's what i ended up doing. (omitted the common steps)

on a sidenote, do all screen printers use inkjet to print out the negatives?

· Registered
2,940 Posts
The advantage of the inkjet printers are that they will print on film, as opposed to vellum, and the ink can be bumped up to a higher density than the toner. The downside to inkjets is that none are postscript, so if you're doing halftones, you either have to buy a RIP, use ghostscript/ghostview, or do stuff like you did in illustrator, or do bitmap halftones in photoshop, which is what I typically do.

· Registered
2,941 Posts
yus pitman, that's what i ended up doing. (omitted the common steps)

on a sidenote, do all screen printers use inkjet to print out the negatives?

Yes, I would say that most printers use inkjets to print out film positives. And RIP programs are written to be used with them.
Best opaque print potential with the right inks in your inkjets too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.