T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone offer any tips for using red ink on black t-shirts. I did a few but the red is not as bright as I would like. Would I have to use a white under base to give me the color red i am looking for? Could I use a sliver for the under base instead of white? (I hate white ink)
Pat

·
Registered
302 Posts
Use white or grey.Silvers awful pricey for a base.Just choke your base so its a little smaller and you won't see the base with proper registration.Since they took the lead out of red inks , paints and dyes.It has made it harder to work with.Union ink makes a maxopaque bright red thats great.I use it on all my dark prints.

·
Registered
175 Posts
its my experience that even with maxo ink, u will still need to use a white underlay on black shirts to get that red to pop the way you want it to

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Smokestack, its not what I wanted to hear but if I have to I will. It will turn this four screen job into six screens now. Oh well wish me luck on this one
Pat

·
Registered
175 Posts
if you are printing on black shirts with more colors than just red, you should consider using that base white screen to go under all other colors as well.. the print will look better

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats true. I am using a shimmering silver. It is a silver with a glitter in it. We have already used it directly on black and it looked good. I would think it could only look better with a white base. I just need to find one that is not as thick as the union maxopake lowbleed white.
Pat

·
Registered
302 Posts
I haven't used Union white.only wilflex extreme white.Set your white on top of the dryer.The heat will loosen up the viscosity and it makes it a little easier to work with.And yes,a base under the silver makes it pop a little more without having to use as much silver.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yes, as the person said before you can use a lighter color like yellow but white has a better reflective color to the human eye.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I picked up a bunch of literature from Union ink at the SGIA show. I just ordered their sample pack of their Maxopake Ink. For direct printing on dark shirts. You get Gold, Red, Blue, and Green for $58 postage paid. Pretty nice deal.

You can order a multitude of sample packs and start up kits directly from Union Ink at their American office. They even ask you if you'd like to switch some of the colors.

I'm financing a Pony Xprs. With equipment I could try using a white underbase.

If the Union Maxopake works good, I'll probably stick with that for one color stuff at least. Once I get into multiple colors on a dark shirt and have the appropriate software and whatnot, I'll try some white underbases.

Excaliber Ink had a selection on concert T-shirts. All black T's with white underbases. Each one had just the white underbase printed on the back, so you could see what it looked like. It was pretty badass to look at. They reminded me of my concert t-shirts from the 90's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
if you are just doing one color prints. if it is red on black shirts. do a couple of layers, the red should pop out. remember to flashing between the layers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
yes specially if its a small order and you dont want to do another frame. just do a base with red. n then red on top of that red and it should come out. just remember to register exactly or else you will have a shadow. always flash in between.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just did a job using the red and yellow union inks on black. I did 2 layers, flashing in between and the colors look great! I'm not an expert by any means, but I was very pleased.

Suzette70

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
For what it's worth, a white underbase will ALWAYS make the colors brighter. I started out with the pantone mixing system from Union using Mixopake colors, and if I had it to do over, I'd use their regular mixing colors. For an easy-to-print underbase, try Union Bright Cotton White (not to be used on 50/50's) or QCM's 158LB Glacier White.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For what it's worth, a white underbase will ALWAYS make the colors brighter. I started out with the pantone mixing system from Union using Mixopake colors, and if I had it to do over, I'd use their regular mixing colors. For an easy-to-print underbase, try Union Bright Cotton White (not to be used on 50/50's) or QCM's 158LB Glacier White.
yes...i agree that white as base will make the red more pop-up...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts