T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an embroidery company and we outsource our screen printing. Due to multiple problems with our screen printer not being able to meet deadlines, we recently contracted with a new screen printer.

With the first company, they preferred to print on 100% cotton shirts, and the results were very good. With this new company, the 100% cotton shirts are bleeding through the ink after a few washings, the fibers of the shirt are coming through the design, and the color just isn't staying true once it is washed.

We never had this problem with the other printer, and I'm confused as to why one printer swears by 100% cotton shirts and the other says 50/50 is the way to go. Is there a difference in inks, application, or is it something else? I just want my customers to enjoy their purchase long after they've been laundered.

We really like this new printer. The service is fantastic and the people are really great, so we want this to work!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm confused??? When you say, "Your printers a cheapo basically." Which printer are you referring to? The one who prefers to print on cotton or the one who prefers to print on the 50/50?

Here's the setup with our current printer - I purchase the shirts, have them drop shipped to the printer, and then I pick them up and deliver them once they're done. Up to now, I've been providing 6.1 ounce, 100% cotton shirts and these are the shirts we've been having some bleed through problems with. I agree that 100% cotton is a preferred fabric with most of my clients, so I'd like to keep using it if possible.

When I asked the printer about this, they said they always promote the 50/50 shirts because they have fewer problems with the shirt color bleeding through. This is in direct contrast to what our former printer said. Personally, I prefer to sell 100% ringspun cotton because it has a softer hand and just feels nicer against the skin - which transfers to better customer approval.

Since my current printer prefers to print on 50/50 and I prefer to sell 100% cotton - what do I need to suggest they do to prevent the bleed-through on the 100% cotton shirts? This new printer is very particular about quality and is also frustrated with this as well, so I'm sure they would be open to learning what they can do to prevent it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sorry Sandy, i misunderstood, i was refering to your 50/50 printer.
Ive never heard of a printer stating they have "less" problems with 50/50 blends (usually the other way around).
In my expireance it's always the 50/50's that can bleed.
The only thing i can think of is your shirts aren't dye-fast?
I know some red dyes will tend to migrate thru white plastisol even on 100% cotton tee's.
If your printer is using plastisol tell him to play with the dryer temp/speed or try opaque waterbased inks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts