T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to do a heat transfer onto a canvas tote. The transfer comes from Wild Side and is for light colors. I am pressing at 400° for 10 seconds. My problem is I'm getting a slight discoloration on the canvas. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to minimalize this. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
670 Posts
I've got a feeling that there is sizing on the fabric of the bag that is scorching at the high temps. To my personal knowledge there's not much you can do about that, other than go with a different bag altogether. HOPEFULLY someone who's got experience with that product will come along and give you some ideas to try.

· Registered
670 Posts
you can always use a tee pad or something underneath the aree that you are pressing, slightly larger than the size of your transfer. This will raise that specific area of the bag from the bottom platen, allowing you to ONLY press that area on the bag. Might help reduce the problem you're experiencing

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the problem isthe sizing they use on the bags. I washed one of the bags and had no scorching. If one of the bags I printed I used chromablast. I had to use 40 seconds press time and had no scorching. I think the sizing is definite problem.

· Registered
5,346 Posts
topper brand totes don't have the sizing problem.
regards earl
Actually not true.. the cheaper 806, which I use a lot do not but some of the more upper priced ones do. I scorched a few finding this out. Now I use only the 806. Your temp needs to be reduced as well go down to 360 and try a shorter time by a few seconds. Lou

· Registered
526 Posts
I'm trying to do a heat transfer onto a canvas tote. The transfer comes from Wild Side and is for light colors. I am pressing at 400° for 10 seconds. My problem is I'm getting a slight discoloration on the canvas. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to minimalize this. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

klatt. . Did you happen to pre-press the tote bag prior to applying the transfer? Canvas totes carry ALOT of moisture . . .
I haven't used another companies transfer on the tote bags . . but I have use qlt EZ peel with my own designs . . and I pre-press the totes before applying the transfer . . . 8-10 seconds . . then I set aside -- long enough to press two other shirts . . then I apply the transfer to the tote bag . . .
although the meduim is a tad different . . the principal might be the same . .

Diane
;o)

· Registered
5,346 Posts
klatt. . Did you happen to pre-press the tote bag prior to applying the transfer? Canvas totes carry ALOT of moisture . . .
I haven't used another companies transfer on the tote bags . . but I have use qlt EZ peel with my own designs . . and I pre-press the totes before applying the transfer . . . 8-10 seconds . . then I set aside -- long enough to press two other shirts . . then I apply the transfer to the tote bag . . .
although the meduim is a tad different . . the principal might be the same . .

Diane
;o)
You are so right about the mposture in tote bags. A must to pre press. Lou

· Registered
10,809 Posts
Many types of canvas have a sizing coating which makes transfer application not always feasible. Bob is correct about the bags from Toppers. Many of their bags have sizing. They do have a few promotional totes that are not coated. I always have found that canvas bags are a hit or miss situation when trying to apply a transfer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.