T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Can anyone help please. I have a Epson 7800 (new) Sawgrass inks and an iDek. I am press a lycra tee. Printing at 2880 x 1440 resolution-pressing for 2:20 at 365 and EVERYTHING looks washed out. I dont know what is going wrong...any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Well, every fabric can have different effects on color... not to mention your time, temperature and pressure can change the color. The first thing I would do is test your transfers to make sure the color settings are fine. You might want to press something that is 100% polyester at 390 degrees F for around 40-45 seconds with light-to-medium pressure. This will give you some clue as to if your colors look good on polyester. If they don't, you could have some color setting issues.

If the colors look good on the polyester, then you might want to increase your time and temperature of what you are pressing the lycra at. Each fabric will have a different heating point and you certainly don't want to melt the fabric. So you are going to have to do some testing with any fabric to determine what works best for you.

There is also the chance that your heat press temperature might be off. So if you can't figure out what is wrong after doing the two above, then you might want to check the temperature of your heat press with the temperature strips.

The other alternative is to call the company that sold you the system and ask them to assist you. Hope you figure it out. Best wishes,

Mark

·
Registered
381 Posts
There is absolutely nothing to gain by printing dye sublimation transfers at 2880x1440. Most fabrics should print fine at 360x720 or 720x720 at the most.

Your dwell time is way too long. Try 365°F for maybe 45 seconds. You will have to play with times and temps, but this should get you in the ball park.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi. Few sublimation fabrics would need pressing for more than sixty seconds.

The very best results with sublimation are when it is used with one hundred percent polyester items and with print resolutions of 360 to 720 dpi. If you use composite fabrics, the ink will tend tend wash out of the non polyester material, to give you an even more washed out look.

·
Registered
903 Posts
sublimation inks will continue to outgas if you press them for longer than the recommended 40-60 seconds. That is why it looks too light. You need to prees it for the 40-60 seconds and see the difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts