T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all professional screen printers, I am hoping someone here can help me figure out want i need to start screen printing t-shirts.I'm just starting out in the business I purchased a heat press and vinyl cutter and was thinking of buying the ryonet 6 color 2 station silverpress with the micro registration package which comes with flash dryer and exposure unit and a bunch of other stuff to get started but i was wondering if i have to buy one of those special printers with all black ink and special accurip software which i know nothing about and looks complicated. Right now I have 13" x 19" HP B8550 inkjet printer and I'm using coreldraw x4, will I be able to print films with this set up or nothing at all. I don't know much about screen printing at all so I'm not sure what halftones are or that rip software does I was thinking i could just make designs with coreldraw using the pantone colors and just click the enable color separations button and it would automatically print each color in black ink. PLEASE HELP.Thanks Phil H and sorry for the long post

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
You might half to use two film sheets, but otherwise should work fine. We use a few printers, and just double the sheets for inkjets.

Also, you can buy a Laser for a couple hundred bucks. If you buy the Silver, ask if they have a Laser in the Package. Some vendors sell printers too, especially dye sub suppliers.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
go into your setting and change your paper setting to premium photo paper and your blacks should print out pretty dark..have done that on my epson 1100 also did it on my epson and did it with my epson 1280 before it finally stopped working and have no problems burning screens. (I'm to (broke/cheap to pay $700 for rip software)

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
if you ever want to print halftones you are going to A. buy a rip to print your halftone films or B. learn how to convert the art to halftones manually...which is doable. but accurip is well worth the money.....also if you have an epson 1400 the rip will enable the all black system to print super dark films.

Inked

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it seems like mostly everyone uses some type of epson printer, should i not use my HP B8550 to print films and get an epson 1400. And are halftones just used for highly detailed images or fading from one color to another or photos, if my designs are solid colors do i need rip software or can i just design on coreldraw x4 and print films if they are just basic like text,outlines, contours. And does anyone know if the Ryonet screen printing 101 dvd is very helpful. thanks again Phil H

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Oh, phil, I have two books that are really good that you might be interested in looking for. Photoshop for Screen Printers, and Don't remember the other name, but it's by Scott Fresner, and everyone swears by it. I think it's: How to screen print t-shirts for fun and profit, plus he's has websites with tutorials.

·
Registered
911 Posts
it seems like mostly everyone uses some type of epson printer, should i not use my HP B8550 to print films and get an epson 1400. And are halftones just used for highly detailed images or fading from one color to another or photos, if my designs are solid colors do i need rip software or can i just design on coreldraw x4 and print films if they are just basic like text,outlines, contours. And does anyone know if the Ryonet screen printing 101 dvd is very helpful. thanks again Phil H

You dont need a RIP or haltones if your not printing gradients, for printing solid colours you can print out of Corel, you should print a film and see if it works, good output film will increase the quality alot.
Good Luck

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Have you seen the Yudu? I need to print some special SPing one color only, and need to SP as fast as possible.

Though we have a Press, my wife saw the Yudu and thought it would be perfact. I explain to her that we already have all the products that a Yudu provides. In fact, we even have some Capillary Film that the Yudu uses.

Just for fun the other night, I burned one sheet of Capillary film (replaces all the emulsion steps with a pre-Emulsion Film Sheet). Never used it before, and it really works well.

They have a plastic film over the Capillary, which I left on and it still burned perfectly. All I used was a 500 watt helogen shop light, at 18" above for 12.5 minutes. I then soaked the C. Film in water for 15 minutes, and as it was soaking it started developing.

I then sprayed it with water like a regular screen to rinse off any emulsion, and it was fine.

The film is about $10 each, and doesn't attach to a screen. I believe you can than tape it to a frame or just hold it over a t-shirt. Haven't printed it yet, but I think I'll try tonight for fun.

I bought the stuff from ezscreenprint.com and they have a picture where a guy made his own frames with a press.

I thought of just taping it to another framed screen, but than I thought the screen underneath might block the image.

Well, my point is that you don't have to waste your money buying Yudu and can just buy the Capillary film from your local screen printing supply store or arts and craft center.

Bad thing, you can't re-claim the screen. Most of us charge our customers for screens anyways.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
If you wet the screen, then gently roll the capillary film onto it (that's the capillary bit), you get a photosensitive stencil that can be exposed. Dry it, peel off the backing sheet and expose it, ink towards the film.
It's quite expensive if you just tape it to the screen, might as well use vinyl, which will last longer.
Yudu is a bit of a toy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just started a custom t shirt buisness im having the hardest time bbc.co really need someone help I need the name of the paper to use with a inkjet printer I dont want to use regular transfer paper I want my print to look and feel like screen printing what do I use and what do I need someone help please

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I just started a custom t shirt buisness im having the hardest time bbc.co really need someone help I need the name of the paper to use with a inkjet printer I dont want to use regular transfer paper I want my print to look and feel like screen printing what do I use and what do I need someone help please
You won't get that from a standard printer. To get a screen printed feel and quality, you need screen printed transfers.

Look up a supplier from the list on the left.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Either Custom Plastisol Screen Printed Transfers, Vinyl or Professional blanks. JPSS, Blue Grid, or 3G Opaque.

The only ones you can print on with an Inkjet is, JPSS (for lights), Blue Grid or 3G Opaque (darks). We print Custom Plastisol Screen Printed Transfers. However, JPSS and Blue Grid have a very good feel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts